cycling your tank- which method did you use

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by steve wright, Sep 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

what method did you use to cycle your tank

Poll closed Oct 17, 2009.
  1. Live fish- Damsel or other, depending on tank size

36 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Live rock, live sand - dead prawn, piece of fish etc

53 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. Bottled bacteria and bacteria food

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

I did the live rock, live sand thing. Threw in a pair of damsels and three weeks later was ready for my first mushroom.

My Tank

2. Click Here!

3. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

There's plenty of ammonia in urine. It would work fine to kick off a cycle.

4. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

That being said, I'm going to use live sand (160 lbs) and dry rock. Just for fun, I may put a few fish in my small tank once the worst of the ammonia spike is over with. I think that with such a large volume of water I may not see very high ammonia or nitrite levels. Either that or I might just go ahead and stock the tank.

[​IMG]

5. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

ya don't suppose THAT is what they're selling in those Insta-Cycle bottles all along? heck, i'd pee in your tank for free! lol

6. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I cycled with Live rock and a damsel.

7. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

Hello all.....I haven't been on for awhile, so I thought this was a good place to start. The first thing I learned was "BE PATIENT". I started with live rock and live aragonite. I bought one piece of cultured rock from my local fish store and placed it in my tank. Then I waited, and waited lol. It wasn't long, maybe 10 days to 2 weeks, that I started noticing LIFE. Don't cheat yourself out of the full experience of starting a tank, go slow and let it grow!

Sue

8. Click Here!

9. LouisLuvr12

LouisLuvr12 Astrea Snail

with my 20 gallon i purchased aragalive and had just that in the tank for three or four days. then i added fifteen pounds of live rock and two damsels five hermits and two nassarius snails. two weeks later a perc. and clown goby with two additional pounds of rock. and i never once saw a high spike in ammonia or any thing when i added my fish a couple of days later everything went to the right readings with a ph of 8.2

10. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I started with live sand and a bottle of Stability. The Stability really kick started things and made the cycle go fast. After a week I added my live rock and then about a week later I added a chromis followed by an ocellaris a week after that.