cycling your tank- which method did you use

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by steve wright, Sep 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

what method did you use to cycle your tank

Poll closed Oct 17, 2009.
  1. Live fish- Damsel or other, depending on tank size

36 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Live rock, live sand - dead prawn, piece of fish etc

53 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. Bottled bacteria and bacteria food

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Of course i cycled my first tank with a yellow tail damsel - well it was a pico, so i actually went through three, the third one surviving!! :p

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

4. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

tried to run a nano tank back in college until my idiot roommate decided to play golf in the apartment. i had cycled with a damsel and the little bugger lived. all is well and good, i'll just fish him out, return him and get my clown, but all was not well. that little b*****d was impossible to catch. after many failed attempts, water all over my desk and a torn up aquascape i finally got the bugger. i'm not proud of it, but i was so pissed at this guy there way no way he was just getting sold back to the shop. little demetri became grouper food. long story short: listen to Mom, spare a damsel AND yourself.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I dont think the yellow tailed damsel is that bad, especially by its self. Mine eats any flat worm that might crop up so he's benefical to a degree and they are very blue!

6. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

At the time before I found this site. I was using the advice of my LFS(their not to bad),and used live rock with 2 blue damsels.everything went smooth,and both damsels turned out to be very friendly till one passed a couple weeks ago out of no where.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

i first used a yellow tail damsel to cycle my 20 gallon and i believe it was a terrible choice. not because of the fish itself, (he is actually very friendly and a great addition to the tank) but because i got fish fever and within a week of when i believed my cycle was done i had all my fish. now my tank is riddled with numerous hair algaes and overall looks terrible. for my next tank i will just do it with live rock. rushing into this tank killed me. atleast i learned my lesson.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I still have my yellowtail damsel. I used all the methods and cycled in less than 2 weeks. Used SeaChem stability. I don't think it really did much hard to tell. Only one live rock to seed some coraline. I had one shrimp in there for about a week.

I would never ever cycle with all live rock... way too many hitchhikers and stuff sneak in the tank. It's hard enough to keep stuff out when you buy a new coral.

As far as hurting the fish during cycle you can do small water changes if the ammonia/nitrite gets high to relieve them. My ammonia or nitrite never got very high.
    A Typical Break-In Cycle

10. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

I cycled my current tank with 4 damsels-2 yellow tail and 2 4 stripe-That was the only way I have ever known-18 years ago when I got into it-thats what you did.
    I had to get rid of the 4 stripe months later-they were growing way fast and the 2 yellow tail are still residents. I aslo added 2 bottles of nitrifying bacteria ( Instant Ocean's Biro Spira) to jump start the process.
    Tanks cycled in about 3 1/2 weeks

Homage to my little cycling buddy;
    [​IMG]

11. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

ok, possible gross out alert, faint of heart look away. i was recently talking to a dude at the LFS (not a working, just a dude) and he told me that the best way to cycle a tank is to simply take a leak in it.:laughcry: ok dude, first off, way to share WAAAAY too much info with some guy you met 2 minutes ago and secondly, how on earth did you get that idea in your head? thoughts anyone?

12. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

How does he think the body fluid in urine will help in a tank cycle. I think I would have posted something more realistic.
    Ghost