cycling your tank- which method did you use

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by steve wright, Sep 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

what method did you use to cycle your tank

Poll closed Oct 17, 2009.
  1. Live fish- Damsel or other, depending on tank size

36 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Live rock, live sand - dead prawn, piece of fish etc

53 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. Bottled bacteria and bacteria food

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi all

this poll is designed to help the very new comers to the hobby, people who are researching before commiting and may want to better understand the tank cycling process and alternative methods

as you can imagine , this poll/ thread does have potential to cause disagreement or arguements, and as you are all no doubt aware that would cause the thread to be prematurely closed

so please stick to the positive comments related to the method you have chosen and respect other peoples reasons for doing it the way they chose to do it

thanks for reading and in advance for anyone who participates

the 3 options given are - but if you have a variation/ alternative. please post details about it

1 - using live fish, Damsel or other species (in larger tanks)
    2 - using live rock, live sand combination or alternative bacteria generation from dead prawn, fish etc
    3 - using bottled bacteria and bacteria food products

Please detail your method and your reasoning behind using this method

Steve

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jossmalo

jossmalo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I chose to cycle with live rock and live sand for the sole purpose of not hurting a fish. I know damsels are very hardy, but why put a fish through the shock of a new tank? Granted watching hitchhikers isn't much fun, I am at peace in mind knowing I'm not hurting a fish.

I am curious how many people have successfully cycled their tank with bottled bacteria... I have read bad things about it, but I have never talked to someone who had tried it.

So I vote if your starting up a new tank, cycle with live rock and live sand!

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I used 2 yellow tail damsels on my first tank, with live sand and live rock. Took around 3 weeks and everything was good to go afterwards.

When I set up my 75 I had no holding tank and no option but to transfer all inhabitants, washed sand, and rock - barely noticed any cycle with the 75.

1 person likes this.
  5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I used live rock and sand for about two weeks and then put in a clown and two crabs. Tank cycled in about 3 weeks with a very small ammonia blip. Everyone seems to be doing great!

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I went with base rock and food to kick off the cycle. No live sand either.

1 person likes this.
  7. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

i actually used the bottled stuff along with 50 lbs of cure LR and 40 pounds of the bagged "live" sand. my cycle was over in about 20 days. i really don't know if the bottled crap did anything but i was young and stupid back then (it was like jan or feb of this year). now, i just assume most of the stuff my LFS tries to sell me is just voodoo.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I started with dry rock and sand, started the cycle with a piece of fresh jumbo gulf shrimp since i did not want a damsel in my final display and did not want the hassle of catching it later to trade in. took 6-7 weeks to cycle this way

1 person likes this.
  10. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I would stay away from cycling with a fish. During a cycle amonia is VERY high and it basically burns the fishes gills, yes damsel will survie it but its like torture for the animals...I highly suggest using other methods

2 people like this.
  11. defdad

defdad Fire Shrimp

I cycled with 50 lbs of live rock. It took about 4 weeks. There was enough ammonia in the tank the second day that I didn't feel the need to add anything else, living or dead.

1 person likes this.
  12. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I used turbo start to start my 55 up a few years back. cycled in about 7 days but I used fully cured rock too. Don't know how much difference that made.

1 person likes this.