Cycling question :/

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by charbel101, Dec 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. charbel101

charbel101 Astrea Snail

I have a 15 gallon tank and i did a stupid mistake and i did put a damsel to start cycling but before i add the fish i did test the water and my results are nitrate 10 nitrite 0 ph 8.5 that results are before i did add a damsel fish now my results are after 3 weeks after adding a damsel fish nitrite 0 nitrate 0 and ph 7.5 the question is did i finish the cycle yet or not cz im so confused :-/

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It would help you to understand cycling process. Assuming ammonia is also 0, it looks like the cycling is complete. However, the Ph is a bit low. You should also test alkalinity.

4. charbel101

charbel101 Astrea Snail

How i can make my ph high again?

5. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

Are you actually testing ph or dkh? There is a difference and only dkh needs to be tested at this point. Ph is harder to keep up in a salt system and monitoring dkh, calcium, and magnesium are the three main elements to be tested. And on newer systems I would recommend monitoring ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

To answer your question I would think maybe you have completed the cycle but I would not expect to have 0 nitrates

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Charbel the things you need to test for are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, and alkalinity. Magnesium will be more important if/when you get corals. If the ammonia and nitrates always read 0 then they aren't as important. Reading up about how the cycle works well give you a basic understanding. You really can't progress much without this understanding. I'll try to post a link to a good article.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

10. saltaddiction

saltaddiction Flamingo Tongue

When mine completed, my ammonia was 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates about 40ppm. Nitrates will drop after that with water changes. After 2, 10% water changes mine are now 20ppm. Your pH is low though, like they said. Be careful with the buffers that LFS's sell. I made that mistake and the majority of them will jack your alk up too high with it.
    I now use the DIY pH dosing. Just google it, it's not that hard and much cheaper than the other stuff.

One thing I've learned in this hobby is read, read, read...and do some more reading. I guarantee there is someone out there that has already made that mistake you are about to make. Read before you do it.