Cycling Question

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Camkha1234, Jul 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I have some rock that I cycled for a month because I was planning on setting up my 52 gallon. Well that didn't work out so the rock has been dry for about a month. How long do you think it will take to re cycle the rock?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would guess as long as a new cycle takes.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Can't really put a time on it, when its done its done. At least a month or do if I had yo guess.

5. Camkha1234

Okay. Thanks for the answers.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Personally, I prefer to cycle everything together. Your bio-filter is more robust and stable that way. The only reason I would bother curing rock outside the system for which it's intended is if it was uncured LR or otherwise questionable and the tank was already established.

JM2C :)

7. Camkha1234

I agree. I was originally going to cycle the uncured rock for my established 29 gallon, but everything died when my urchin died and caused a giant param spike while I was on vacation before I could add the rock. I'm now going to use it for a cube tank :)

8. Click Here!

9. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Along this same note. Can you have too much liverock in a system. Right now I have about 100# of total live rock between my fuge and DT for a 60 gal cube and about a 15 gal fuge.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I don't think there really is a limit in terms of live rock. It's more about aesthetics in terms of scaping and having room for fish to swim that would limit it. Just my .02.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

The only reason there is too much is if there is no swimming room in the tank :) Otherwise, the more you have with a scape that works, the better. General rule of thumb is between 1.5-2 lbs per gallon.