Cycling my 26 Bow

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by xfactor6, Sep 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Looked OK to me. I saw some debris drifting by, was it in a higher flow area of the tank by any chance?

2. Click Here!

3. xfactor6

xfactor6 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Damsel

Yea its the return of the canister filter, but he swims that way all around the tank.

Hey maybe you can help me with the other thread i started look at the one called "cycled tank" look at the last page. Just need help with identification of the brown stuff on the sand and rock

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, his swimming looked okay too me. Damsel's like to "play" in high flow areas. Thats what it looked like it was doing IMO. The way he would swim foward, let himself drift back, go to the same spot and do it all over again.
    I would keep an eye on his fins though. Fins missing/partially missing doesn't neccasarily mean there is fighting going on. It could be disease (fin rot), specially since the fish was purchased at a petco.
    And if possible, you can try to re-arrange your rock a little to create more tunnels/holes for the fish to hide in. Damsel's can get territorial, and a good selection of hiding spots can help to keep everyone happy.
    Keep an eye on him, and keep us updated!

5. xfactor6

thanks for all the help, ill keep an eye on it, there are a ton of spots for them to hide ill post another vid tomorrow. it looks like he is missing a little piece of his fin but, not sure if its fin rot or not, ill see if it keeps disintegrating, i guess this is why a quaranteen tank is usefull huh?

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Theres no doubt that they are useful. I haven't gotten my act together enough to start one myself either, though.
    But yeah, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep an eye out for loss of appetite or heavy/fast breathing, and watch the fins to see if they come back, or if they are being chewed off. It might just take a little for them to set their own little rules. It took my clowns and damsels about a week or more before they learned to coexist ;)

7. xfactor6

i guess that will be another adventure after i cycle it and add more fish, the question will be what kind? you have clown with your damsels so i think thats what ill get after it cycles

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Clowns are a great early fish. They are really hardy and easy to keep, and have awesome little personalities and are great to watch!

10. xfactor6

cool thanks, you have any updated pic of your tank? id like to see what i have to look forward to:cheesy:

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The one in my sig is pretty new

12. xfactor6

ok, nice.