Cycle question...is it really done?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Redd, Feb 11, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

Hello,
    I have a BC29 that I started cycling 10 days ago. 5lbs LR(one quite live, but the the majority wasn't outwardly vibrant), 25lbs cured dry rock, ~5lbs uncrured dry rock. 20lbs Caribsea agralive LS. Parameters as far as yesterday are: (API master kit)
    NH3 : 0.25
    NO2: 0.00 - 0.05
    NO3: Effectively 0.00 (slightly above 0.00 this morning, but very hard to tell)
    Temp was reduced gradually from 83F to 78.5F over a week.
    Salinity: ~1.026
    pH: ~8.1

Ammonium levels never exceeded 0.25. Nitrates were barely ever elevated above 0.05, visibly. Nitrates never registered above 0.00 until possibly this morning.

HOWEVER, I have feather duster in a piece of LR, a star was observed this morning, all trivial, but DIATOMS I believe are blooming. see pics. this rock was pearl white 4 days ago, now there are diatoms beginning to bloom on the sand.

Could the cycle really be complete? I feel uneasy about the level of bacteria that could be in there with respect to a WC and then adding livestock. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Add some food then recheck ammonia and nitrite levels.If you are not reading nitrate you are not cycled.What kind of test kits are you using?

Swisswiss likes this.
  4. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

API. I added shrimp to the sump on Wednesday evening. I cycling now! Measurables in all three parameters

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Dont let the ammonia or nitrite spike too high or you will stall it.Good luck.

6. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

So what's too high? 6.0+