cycle hospital tank update?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Bruce PSL FL, Feb 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce PSL FL

Bruce PSL FL Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok I have heard both sides-
    that QT doesn't need to be cycled as the medications will kill off the bacteria anyway- others say to cycle it
    :help:

my blue tang appears to have ick and my QT was just set up yesterday

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It really depends on what type of treatment you have planned. If you're medicating with something that is going to require frequent water changes, than I wouldn't bother cycling it, but if not, I would add some type of bio-filtration. It's true that most meds will kill bacteria, but from what I've noticed, a tank with active bio-filtration will do better than a sterile one even after the addition of medication.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Get an ammonia alert badge, feeding sparingly, use the right copper testing kit, do water changes as indicated so have water made up and ready. Expect to be doing small water changes frequently and adjusting the copper levels.

With all that said, it's all for nothing unless your run the DT fallow.

5. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

I used Dr Tims Nitrifying bacteria and it has worked wonders... I was a bit skeptical at first but I have nothing but great experiences with it

6. Bruce PSL FL

well here is my next question, I've had the hippo 1 1/2 weeks, I was out of town over the weekend and I came back Sunday and noticed a few small dots on him. He still eats pig a pig and swimming all over the tank, do I pull him or let him be? I have been feeding mysis soaked in selco, green algae sheets soaked as well ?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you're not going to treat all the fish and leave the tank fallow then as long as the Tang looks fine and is eating fine I would not pull the fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Sooo maybe I am lost but your hippo is in the DT? or in the QT?

10. Bruce PSL FL

hippo in the dt- as my qt was not set up yet

11. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Coralline is as usual right... unless you are willing to pull all ur fish from the tank to QT and treat them then the only benefit I would see in pulling him is to treat him and give him some quick relief, but once he goes back in the system he will more than likely get infected once more.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I feel kind of left out, or that I"m missing something also.

I never ever 'soaked' any foods in anything. I have one very healthy, fairly large Blue/Royal/Hippo Tang.

I agree with Corraline also, leave him be. If you have a large enough UV filter, it MAY help some also.

I onlce saw a few white spots on my fish like a CB angel, and it turned out to by some type of pod that he picked up along the way swimming thru the rock channels in my DT.

Make sure it's actually ich.

You also mentioned that the fish was 10 days old to you-
    I assuming you did not Quarantine? You can get away with it, but it's a great idea to QT every fish and dip every coral before adding to the DT.

You Added a fish w/o a QT period- so if he had some critters somewhere in their lifecycle- you may have now just infected your Tank and other fish too.

Good luck.

And once he's sick, it's now called a HT or hospital tank bascially

Let us know what happens