Cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jimw369, Nov 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

I am on another web site discussing (yes just discussing at this point) cures for Cyano.

We are not in disagreement when we say Cyano is photosynthetic, however, this persons advice to rid Cyano is NOT cut back on your light cycle so that the excess nutrients can burn off quicker.

I think here at 3reef we would all be in agreement that certain light spectrums increase the likelihood of a Cyano outbreak so wouldnt it make sense that cutting BACK on your light cycle should be just one more small step towards eliminating it (Cyano).

Of course nitrient export is the major culprit for RS and excess nutients should be our fist concern but is the advice to let Cyano burn off on its own and in some cases increase the light bad advice?

2. Click Here!

3. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

I may be new but cybo may mean more than light.

HI,
    I may be new but Cyano may be a symptom of water quality issues things like to much NOX. Phos, waste, poor water flow and maybe under skimming.
    I would avoid meds and take a more aggresive approach to improve the water quality.
    Beings Cyano may be a bacteria versus algae light may be a smaller factor in growth versus excesses in metabolic waste and poor water flow.
    Doug

more info on Cyano.
    Cyano, Cyanos, Cyanobacteria, Blue-Green Algae, Algae, Red slime Algae, Slime Algae, Slime, Undesirable algae

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007