Cyano???

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Poppy828, Dec 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Evening everyone. Hope each of you had a great x-mas.

I have finished the swap to the 75g as mentioned in an earlier post and made a DIY 30g fuge. Everything has been great since the swap. No loss of corals or fish. I did have an incident with a bad hydrometer (deep six) It was 6 points off so my salinity went up to 1.032. Corals did not like that a bit. I have since ordered a refractometer with the temp compensation also. Will be here tomorrow.

Anyway, I have noticed in the last few days red slime alage in the fuge. It is covering both sides of each baffle (3 total) between the input and fuge section. I also have some of it in the fuge on the sand and glass as well as on the macro. I have tested the water and have perfect readings...

Ammomia-0
    Trites and trates-0 (yes zero finally)
    PH-8.2
    Alk-4
    Calcium-430
    Salinity- 1.026 (after the big spike)
    Mag-1300

Not sure why this is happening or how to rid the fuge of it. I have placed a powerhead in the fuge portion to make sure it is getting enough flow to see if that was it. I have stopped using Reef Solutions also which I was adding daily (capful) to see if that was the cause.

Any input on this would be appreciative.

Thanks,

T

2. Click Here!

3. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

If everything in your "fuge" is new, sand, rock, etc, it will go through the same stages like a new tank would. So more than likely it is cyano. Same thing happened to me.

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]

4. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Well the rock and sand were from the previous fuge. However, that was only up for a month or so. I will let nature take it's course and see what happens I guess. So far none has gotten into the main tank. I was going to order some Red Scarlet crabs to help combat it and eat it up. Suggestions on that??

Thanks Cowboyup.

T

5. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Hey Poppy- Red Scarlets will help but those little critters can only do so much by themselves. I found that Diamond Gobies do a pretty good job, it's actually one of their main functions. They scoop up mouth fulls of sand and filter it. There are other Gobies that do the same thing also. Like you said, nature will take it's course and it shouldn't last too long.

6. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I have a pink spotted Goby and to everyones disbeleif, he does a ton of sand sifting himself. I have not had the Cyano in the main tank so I am ok. Would like to throw a few Scarlets in the Fuge and let them do there thing. I am thinking 15ish would be ok. They should be able to handle it fairly quickly. When it's gone I can throw half in the main tank and leave the others to combat any possible flair ups. Or as we both mentioned, just let nature takes it course.

Thanks again Cowboyup. Your time and help are both very appreciated. Have a safe and happy new year.

T

7. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

You do the same Poppy! Sounds like you got it under control!

Take care,