Cyano Overload and Flatworm Outbreak

Discussion in 'Algae' started by hannanReef, May 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hannanReef

hannanReef Astrea Snail

I have recently been battling a huge outbreak of cyanobacteria as well as flatworms. I'm not sure what is the proper approach to these issues. I'm not a huge fan of chemical treatments and I always prefer the more natural approaches to fixing issues. My water parameters are right on where they should be, with regular testing. I run a chiller, so the maximum temp swing on any day is only +/-2.5 degrees. I still have a huge slick of cyano that has been occurring.

One thought I've had on the cyano is that my lights are old? I run 3-150W 20k HQI and 4-96W Dual Actinic on a 125 gallon. I have had the lights six months, but they were used when I got them. I was told the bulbs were six months old when I got them. So I have ordered new bulbs and they should be in by the end of the week. What other suggestions does anyone have on other steps I can take to battle the cyano?

The flatworms are mainly present on two pieces of coral but I think the population is growing. I did add some wrasse to my tank just this week to see if they begin to diet on them, but if the masses increase what should I do?

One thought I've had on the cyano is that my lights are old? I run 3-150W 20k HQI and 4-96W Dual Actinic on a 125 gallon. I have had the lights six months, but they were used when I got them. I was told the bulbs were six months old when I got them. So I have ordered new bulbs and they should be in by the end of the week. What other suggestions does anyone have on other steps I can take to battle the cyano?

2. Click Here!

3. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Chemiclean. I know you said you want to avoid using chemicals, but to put it simply, this one works amazingly well. It does not affect fish, corals, or other invertebrates. I use it from time to time, when the cyano gets to be too much to deal with and have had no ill effects.

Good luck,

Jim

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

GFO - Granulated Ferric Oxide. I had a cyano problem a couple of months ago, and after 2 weeks of using GFO, it was gone. I just put some in my mesh bag that I use in my Whisper 40 power filter and change it out every 2-3 weeks.

5. DarkEarth

DarkEarth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Two thoughts actually...

6. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

This is my experience with cyto - It will happen if you don't use RO water, over feed or don't have enough flow (or well positioned flow)

This is what I did and it took 2 weeks to eliminate.
    Stopped topping up with tap water (no chlorine )
    Use chemipure elite
    use cheto in my refugium (allow it to mature)
    Sold one of my sun corals
    Daily blew off the cyto from the sand
    wet skimmed
    checked PH daily (cyto will effect ph)
    increased my CUC by 20% (mostly nuss snails)

It worked 100% for me - I have not had an issue since.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

+1 chemiclean is not a solution in itself, GFO is. Even if you ran chemiclean you'd need to run GFO to remove all the PO4 anyways or else it will just come back....

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

+2 all good suggestions :)

10. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

hannanReef:

I had a Cyanobacteria issue with my 39ga and took the advise of a fellow 3reefer "NO light " for four days and Chazam... ALL Gone. As I'm sure you are aware however address the problem as many here have mentioned Flow,Overfeeding may be culprits that was my problem.

As far as the flat worms if they are contained to one rock i would nuke the rock done....

E

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Wow, I've been doing this for years. It is 100% effective. I actually hesitate on recommending it because no one ever tries it. They would much rather spend their money on antibiotics. I have always coupled this with an aggressive filtration of GFO.

12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

As for the flatworms, I have always had good luck with yellow coris wrasses.