cyano Bacteria ( red slime algae ) problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by drew3, Jan 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I'm having a terrible problem with this too.
    Has anyone tried burying it under more sand!? I just pushed it all under and am curious what will happen.

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

I just ran some tests. My phosphates are near 0. Nitrates are 10-15 why is this stuff growing so bad lately!?
    I put brand new 14k bulbs in about a week ago also. Its getting worse

4. Midnight_Madman

Considering a black out! Anyone around?

5. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I had the same issue with Cyno a few weeks ago, until i ordered red slime remover from Dr Foster and Smith. It said it was reef friendly and would not harm anything but the cyno. After 3 doses of this, I do not have any red slime at all. I also started running a multi media reactor with Phosban and another with Carbon. Since taking these steps not only have i noticed that the cyno is completely gone, but it is also helping with the algae that shows up on the glass everyday. I have not cleaned my glass in about a week now and it still looks good. A vast improvement from before when i was cleaning algae daily off the glass.

6. Midnight_Madman

Yes that works, but I'm trying to get the the root of the problem.
    I'm getting some daylight in the room. Not direct, but enough that I can see everything in the tank all day long without any tank lighting on.

7. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Chances are you have phosphates - even though it's not showing up on tests. I would suggest GFO or chemi pure elite. Also if you have just cycled your tank it will go away.
    I had the same issue after cycling - I added chemi pure elite and it was gone in a 10 days

8. Click Here!

9. Midnight_Madman

I have a huge bag of Phosguard in my sump. I had a problem with it months ago, but its been down to 0 for a while now.