cyanide reversal?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by karlas, Feb 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i found this article if you have a quarenteen tank set up there may be a chacne of reversal of cyanide poisoning from a medicine thats commonly used

methelyne blue

this may be helpful and or a good preventive especially if you dont know where your fish came from. cyanide caught fish have a 80% death rate. it should be totally stopped but somebodys gonna be doin it maby using this product will decrease the death rate

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Hmmmmm, uh, Ok.   Yah sounds good, BUT, cn attacks many different functions, none of which can be helped or "nursed" back.  One thing methelyne blue wouldn't help, that is the #2 cause of death from cn AFTER BEING TRANSSHIPPED is the wasting away (even though fish may appear to be eating).  This is caused by severe intestinal damage.  Nutrition is unable to asorbed by the intestine.  The people selling cn or "doped" fish would've jumped ALL OVER THAT ONE.  That would mean pretty much ALL FISH outa LA would come in blue water, which isn't and won't happen.  A dead fish costs more than a alive fish.  LA wholesalers don't want death, they want cheap fish.  If they could help their cn collected fish, they would, it makes perfect business sense, which is what their ALL ABOUT.  If they had ethics, morals, etc. they wouldn't be buying cn collected fish.

Were did you get 80% death rate from?  Is that after transhipping, basicly wholesaler > store > Hobbiest or from collection > buyer/broker > transhipper/exporter > wholesaler > retail/store > hobbiest?  I'm not disputing that figure, just interested.

I work for one of "the whistle blowers".  He (Steve Robinson) wrote many articles in FAMA 82,83 on this very subject.  He went to PI, lived their for a year, got in with the CN divers, earned their trust, documented the WHOLE process, even collected with cn along with them to show he was OK.  I'm in the process of digitizing all those articles, I'll let you know the link when finished.   Check reefs.org forum, indusrty behind the hobby.  He's been debating this very subject there, along with many other experts.  I'd say about 5 to 7 of the people included in the debates are very well versed in this subject, top notch experts.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i will have to try and find the thing that i read about the 80% rate and see if there is anything else on that. i agree cn poisong should be completely stopped but thats harder to say then do. im standing behind tank raised fish corals and clams more and more thats about the only way the cn using people may get put outta business