Cutting Track Lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by xmetalfan99, Oct 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

This is technically a reef lighting question.

I am wanting to use track lighting to hold two or more PAR38 bulbs. The only tracks that I can find are 48" long. I only need 16" of track. Can I cut the tracks used in track lighting?

Here is the link to the track I would be buying.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

yeah just make sure to reconnect the the terminals on the ends though. My home depot offers a 24" light rail

1 person likes this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I agree with Dingo, checking into a shorter one and HD sounds like a good idea.

1 person likes this.
  5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Look up EDI (Electrical Distribution Inc.), or HD Supply (Electrical branch). I believe both of those companies are in WV. I'm sure you have some other Electrical Supply Houses that I am not familiar with up there as well. They can get you any size you need.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fresh2Salt

Fresh2Salt Feather Duster

Yes you can cut the track to any size you like .... I do it all the time with a sawzall at work... Just reconnect the end cap after you cut it... And if you need to extra mounting holes if you cut them off, just drill yourself a new hole just keep it centered , make sure you keep all your heads away from where your screws are.

1 person likes this.
  7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Thanks for all the info guys. For $8 I think I'm just going to buy a 4 foot track and cut it. There is a local electrical supply store, but they charge to much for simple goods. I like supporting the little guys, but not for double and sometimes triple the price of Lowes.