Cutting fresh seafood?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by PackLeader, Feb 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Any tips or tricks in cutting up seafood for the tank? Would a blender do they job without turning it to mush?

2. Click Here!

3. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

Food processor on chop mode. Never tried a blender.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I use a food processer that has the pulse mode. My reef tanks like it very small pieces where my Golden Puffer will only eat chunks. I try to make the puffer food first, so if I chop it to fine for her I simply mush it more for the reef tank.

I soak my fresh seafood in RO water first, then chop it up in processer, add some nori, selcon, vit c and stir it all up and place it in a ziplock bag and freeze it Works great Much cheaper then prepared frozen food

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Ah so a processor is they key. I will have to see if they have some cheap ones at Wal-Mart or something. I tried the blender, and it made sea-food milkshake. And just couldnt get it cut fine enough by hand.

6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

They have small cheap food processors out there. I have one but I just cut all my food by hand, mainly because what I'm cutting it for is my anemone's so it doesn't have to be small at all.

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Just curious at how well this works. Is it full of all the nutrients that the fish need? What seafood do you use? Is there a good thread to this already?

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, it turns out my blender has a food processor attachment ::) Who would have known.
    I minced up some scallops, mussels, shrimp, broccoli, and spinach, with my left over mysis and brine, with some selcon, garlic juice and vitamin c. The fish go absolutely nuts over it. Even my mandarin and singapore angel. Best part is that it costed me less than 6 bucks and its easily a month or two worths of food ;D I could really get used to making my own...