cut my finger after fragging

Discussion in 'Frags' started by sollie7, Feb 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

  1. sollie7

    sollie7 Millepora

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2009
    Messages:
    943
    Location:
    Woodstock, Ga
    So I just cut some zoas up and wore gloves and glasses. then I go to clean up and put the xacto blade in a wad of paper towels to throw it away, forgot I did that and the tip cut the bottom of my middle finger. I poured some peroxide on it right after and finished cleaning up and then washed my hands but now it kind of feels weird. So will I be ok?
     
  2. Click Here!

  3. 2in10

    2in10 Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    Messages:
    19,258
    Location:
    Sparks, NV
    That would depend on how sensitive you are to the toxin. If you get worse head to the ER and tell them you have been exposed to palytoxin.
     
  4. cosmo

    cosmo Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2011
    Messages:
    6,166
    Location:
    southeast ohio O-H....
    If you're allergic to bee stings I'd def be on alert! If not, you should be alright! But I'd pay attention and read up on it just in case! Was just reading up on it the other day because I'm very allergic to bees just to be safe!
     
  5. SwimsWithFish

    SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2011
    Messages:
    5,109
    Location:
    DFW Texas
    The funny feeling could be a placebo effect. I read somewhere that the reaction happens within 15 minutes if anythings going to happen.
     
  6. sollie7

    sollie7 Millepora

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2009
    Messages:
    943
    Location:
    Woodstock, Ga
    I think im good and im not one of those placebo prone people. Not allergic to bees and think the feeling is just the cut itself because it is right under my knuckle so it hurts a little when I move my finger. anyway thanks guys
     
  7. SwimsWithFish

    SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2011
    Messages:
    5,109
    Location:
    DFW Texas
    Glad your doing ok. I'm scared poopless to touch my palys;)
     
  8. Click Here!

  9. sollie7

    sollie7 Millepora

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2009
    Messages:
    943
    Location:
    Woodstock, Ga
    thanks yeah I think ill be fine guess it really does just depends on different people's sensitivity to it. Seems there is no in between though after reading some stuff on the internet everyones either like "OMG you're gonna die palytoxin" or "Its nothing placebo effect"
     
  10. ingtar_shinowa

    ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    7,072
    Location:
    Billings Montana
    Omg! Do you have life insurance?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
     
    1 person likes this.
  11. PackLeader

    PackLeader Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Messages:
    5,716
    Location:
    Reno, NV
    You'll be fine. If that worried, use some ointment and a band-aid. If the toxin had gotten you, you'd already be dead. Usually, a lethal dose kills within three minutes. And the emergency room wouldn't be able to do anything for you, there is no antidote, and I bet 99% of doctors dont know what palytoxin even is. Just keep it clean ;-)
    BTW, being allergic to bee stings has nothing to do with anything in your tank, the toxins and their mechanisms are incredibly different. That's like saying I'm allergic to bees so I cant go near goats or something, doesn't make any sense.
     
  12. SwimsWithFish

    SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2011
    Messages:
    5,109
    Location:
    DFW Texas
    That's comforting;)