Custom DIY LED setup

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nc208082, May 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

So i have been doing countless amounts of hours of research into my future lighting upgrade and i am going to go and try a super led setup. I have read many reviews about how mh is far superior so i want to attempt to make a led light that can successfully rival my 2x250w mh setup.
    tank dimensions are 48x24x24
    I plan on using
    50 cree XP-E RB 3w stars with 60 degree optics
    I think 10 cree XM-L cool white 4w stars average 280 lumens 2x that of the xpg series.
    and 10 cree mce multichips at 10w each average 430 lumens.
    Now since the XM-Ls are about twice as powerful as the XPG series i figured i would use half of the number of them. and then adding the intense multichips to try and give that halide blast to them
    i think 3 drivers should be enough for all the lights if i get 1 30 watt for lunar lights, and a 100-120 watt for the multichips, and a 150 watt for the rest of the leds.

I have priced this out and i can get all these bulbs for 400 bucks, without drivers get those separate. I am thinking going against optics for the xmls and multichips. Any one out there with any experience in multichips or leds that thinks this may be good for a rival or too much or missing something?