Custom Acrylic does this sound right?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by toua, Feb 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

I had a custom acrylic tank quoted for me, here are the specs and the results. I'm no expert so I'm trying to get some opinions.

AIO Custom Tank

- whole tank 30x22x14
    - display aread 30x16x14
    - fuge area 30x6x14 (three section fuge)
    - black false wall divider for display and fuge
    - rimless

price quoted was ballparked at $575 @ 3/4'' thick minimum and 1'' thick recommended. The price doesn't bother me as I feel that when it's custom, they have the right to charge you what they feel their product and skillsmanship are worth. However, I feel that the thickness remcommended is kind of overkill and would make a tank of this size look rather bulky. I mean, a MP10 will not even grab on to tank anymore, what are you thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

It depends if it is rimless or not. If rimless I would say 3/4", if it is braced then I would think you would get away with 1/2". Price seems good though.

4. Illusions

Illusions Flamingo Tongue

I think it's a bit much personally. Is this a rimless? or does it have a rim around it?

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

You could do 1/2 rimless. 3/8 would be fine if it is braced. 3/8 would allow mp10s to work too. I am having a tank built right now in 3/8 for that purpose. 3/4 to 1" is very over-engineered.

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I'm sorry I was reading it as 22" deep not wide, yeah that is over kill. +1 to these recommendations, and that should bring the price down some.

7. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

yeah i feel the quoted thickness is overkill and i'm sure that's where some of the money is going. thanks for the input so far everyone.

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Definitely thickness driving up the cost. I priced a 96"x48"x3/4" sheet of acrylic yesterday and it was over $1000. So if he was gonna do 3/4" for that price you should get a much better deal at 1/2". I think 1/2" was under $500.

10. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

thanks for all the input guys, i guess i'll get this quoted somewhere else. i asked about the 1/2'' thickness but when i mentioned that he told me that if i went with that then he would need to add a 3'' top all around rim/brace. not that i mind but the tone kind of just changed when i asked about the 1/2 thickness.