Current USA Powerbrite LEDs

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by NaClCrocodile, Nov 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

Alright so I'm trying to turn my 10gal into something a little cooler. Right now I'm using a Current USA T5 with one actinic and one 10k. The thought dawned on me today that I could take the actinic out, put maybe a 14k or another 10k and add a LED strip for $50 and have a good amount of light coming out. Then it hit me, since my friend wants my light for his 10gallon anyway, why don't I just go LED in mine? How many LED strips would I need to light it up so I could make it a mini reef? They say they're 4x1watt LEDs but that's ridiculously tiny (I think?) and I've seen my LFS use three or four as the actinics on one of their 90gallons and it looks sick. So I'm looking for experiences, how many do you recommend, what the heck are linking models that I see here, and would ya'll go all LED or keep T5 and use LED actinics? Thanks for all ya'll help. Hopefully I can sleep now...

2. Click Here!

3. hooch

hooch Astrea Snail

You need to find out what the par is. i did some looking into this for myself. I consider LED to be the feuture of reef keeping. but right now with the heafty price tag that high output LED fixtures have on them i think it may be a while before many reef keepers get their hands on them. one option that i thought of would be to build a fixture for myself. It's pretty basic electronics, just hooking up LEDs and crunching some numbers for how much wattage you will need. these are the LEDs that i found to be of acceptable PAR for keeping just about anything, that is if you have enough of them...
    this link is on how to build a caselight for a computer but tells you how to build it from the ground up, and the princapals are the exact same for building a fixture for building a reef aquarium light.
    Building a Luxeon Star caselight
    minus the color changing aspect i think you can buy luxeon star LEDs in one color for around 5 to 7 dollars a pice. It is still pricy if you DIY for me my projected cost for my 125 reef was around $2,000, which means no LEDs anytime soon for me...

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I have the Current Power brites. For an experiment I opened the top of my 14 gal. Biocube and held the Power strip over it. It looked like 1960s psychedelic light show. The tank isn't deep enough to disperse the light and you get blotches of white and blue dancing around. The shimmer is great but doesn't look natural at all.