current orbit or marineland led 48"

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by trying it again, Nov 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Hi , just wanted some opinions on which of these fixtures would be the better, I like the control on the current orbit. Thanks for all replies

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Can you post a link to the fixtures you are referring to?

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Better for what??Are you planning,lps,sps? Your toadstool will like more light then the marineland can produce and while the orbit may be a step up there are much better full spectrum options available for the money imo.

mdbostwick and Corailline like this.
  5. trying it again

The current orbit reef 48" is $200
    Marineland reef 48" is around $280
    So just for a light,and only these two to pick from , which would you pick for fish and coral that need low to medium light ?
    Not looking to do anything fancy, have some clove polyps now and a leather . Was running 4x64 florescent the bulbs are failing again .

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  6. monkey wrench

monkey wrench Plankton

I have been looking at the current orbit for mine. Seems like a good light, my lfs has one on a 65 gallon deep tank and corals have been growing. For how cheap the are you could always add another down the road. I wouldnt consider the marineland haven't heard anything goood about these lights.

7. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I actually have both. Marineland 48 on one tank and 18 inch orbit on a smaller tank. Both are sufficient for low medium light. I have star polyps growing like crazy mushrooms and also have duncun galaxea and pipe organ high in tank growing like crazy but these would normally be low in tank with better light. The control of orbit is great and expect similar result but did not have it as long. I will tell you if you are like me I am regretting not getting stronger lights because I am limited on what I can get and placement. Look at some of the value fixtures out there and control though timers. (reefbreeders or ocean revive, etc).

8. Click Here!

9. trying it again

Looks like current orbit is going to be my pick. This is just a casual hobby for me so I'm staying low key with livestock. Thanks for the help all

10. trying it again

Lights got here last night. Nice light with some cool options. Happy as a Clam:yelrotflmao:

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

It's actually a really nice light with great coloration. Congrats

12. dragit

dragit Plankton

Its the light I chose for my low tech nano. For $128, there wasnt much out that that could do what it could and look as decent on the tank.

From what I have read, it will support softy and many lps well enough. Sps will require better lighting. Of course everything I have read is subjective and results varied from person to person. In a few months I may have an opinion of my own to add