Curious About Moonlights?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Reef2Keep, Jan 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

So, I just realized that my lighting fixture has a moonlight. I must say that it looks awesome at night w/ the mellow shimmering effect, in addition to viewing the tank 24/7.

I'm curious if the fish really like this? I've heard it makes them calm since they can potentially "sense predators", however it seems like the constant light would hinder they're sleeping/resting habits. I must admit that I'm pretty clueless about fish sleeping habits....so sorry for my ignorance.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

ive had some of my fish sleep during the day! lol. but my moons dont seem to bother any. they still hide and sleep.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I have been leaving mine on all night. I thought it would help them see my fish eating brittle star before he could nab them. So far so good. I was wondering if it messed with the sleeping too.

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

my fixture has a moonlight on it as well that ive been using during cycling to see whats up in the tank so i dont produce algae from the 12000k's or actnic. i love the shimmering moonlight effect, and the damsels i have in the tank dont seem to care. they swim around during the day and at night they hide. the light never changes though heh.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I don't think it bothers them, but I don't know. When I was researching moonlights I read stuff that said it stimulates spawning, calms them, etc. but could just be a marketing ploy!

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

sorry for hitch hiking but can you get moon lights separately? i kinda wanted to get one. if so where is the best place to get them?

8. Click Here!

9. Reef2Keep

Yeah, I've read that too...who knows if it's true or not. I'm really more interested in the appeal, if any, the fish may have with the lights.

10. Reef2Keep

I'm almost positive you can buy them seperately, although I'm don't know where:confused: I'm sure someone on 3reef can steer you in the right direction.

11. Chad

Chad Astrea Snail