Curing Rock? Are these Numbers Right ?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Beausoleiljacob, Dec 4, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

Hey Everyone!
    About 24 Hours ago I started curing my Pukani Rock from BRS. Anyways, despite my house smelling like raw sewage and my girlfriend wanting to kill me, everything seems to be going good since the smells means there is ammonia! Nonetheless, I just took some tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate & Phosphate and the results are all crazy high! Ammonia - 8 PPM Nitrite - 5ppm + Nitrate 40-80 Phosphate 2. My Saltwater test kit hasn't come in yet so I used my API freshwater test kit. I heard they were exactly the same just the color cards are different. How can my number possibly be so high! All I did was add my water mixed with salt. Add some biospira & waited 24 hours after adding the rock to test! I should definitely do a water change because won't the cycle be prolonged due to the high levels? Thanks just looking for some advice!

Also. I have a sump that is 24 inches long. My stand length size, is 23 inches long x 24.5. Would it be a problem to place the sump vertically?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes if those numbers are correct your cycle will indeed fail. I would remove as much water as possible and refill with new sw. Are you running a PH for aeration?You don't need\want the ammonia any higher then 3 ppm to cycle.

4. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

I use my freshwater test kit so the numbers may be wrong. I will do an 100 percent water change today. I have a heater and a powerhead as well as an air stone!

5. Vinnyboombatz

Retest ammonia regularly to be sure it doesn't climb too high. You can also dose more biospira.

6. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

What are the max parameters everything should be at?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Keep ammonia at or below 3 ppm. You should then slowly start to see nitrite then nitrate. Once the ammonia and nitrite disappear you are cycled at which point the addition of some sort of food will be necessary.If the tank is cycled you should read no ammonia or nitrite, only nitrate.