curing live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by vdhillon2, Apr 28, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

hello,
    i mail ordered some live rock and just got it in this morning. It is a Haitian live rock...it looks great, has lots of growth on it, but i know i'm supose to cure it...i'm just not exactly sure how. i've placed the rock in a tank with a heater and a power head...is that all? do i need a protien skimmer? how will i know when its done curing? how long should i wait? when and how many water changes do i do?

thanks for all the help,
    vinnie

2. Click Here!

3. frank_broderick

frank_broderick Astrea Snail

4. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

when you receive the rock and it has alot of growth already, chances are its already cured. you can put it in your tank add a skimmer, some power heads, wait a couple of days and do some water tests. most likely you should be fine.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'd have the skimmer going to help pull the rot out.

6. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

IMO...all rock should be cured, even if it's sold as cured rock. At work I will not sell rock as cured, even if I know that it is because of the length of time we've had it at our store....all I need is a customer coming back raging mad because I sold him "cured" rock and he put it in his tank and everything started dying because of a cycle. I just purchased 46 lbs. of rock from PetSolutions for the 210...it's curing now...very nice rock!!