Cupramine

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by artur, Dec 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Hi. I know that question was asked million times. After few years in the hobby I changed my regimen. I know this topic is controversial, so many people against and as many are with me. Every fish I will buy from now will go thru Prazipro and Cupramine treatment. Doesn't matter if looks healthy or not. My question is. What is the proper level of Cupramine? 0.5? Lot of people saying it can be lower like 0.3 and will be easier on fish.... And second question is How Long should I keep that level. Please let me know. There is so many different opinions but I trust you guys. You were always spot on.Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If really depends on the fish and it's tolerance. Try to run at 0.5 but if you are trying to treat a more copper sensitive fish like an Angel or the fish you are treating stops eating you may have to drop down to 0.3. The bottle says 14 days, some hobbyist run it longer.

Pretty sure Greg@Lionfishlair probably has something of interest to add. It's been a long time since I have had any use for it.

4. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Seachem suggests, that there minimal therapeutic dose, is 0.2 mg/L. Corailline, is correct. The tolerance, varies between species. I personally find that Clownfish, tolerate Cupramine, the least. I would suggest treating each specimen, with no less than 0.3 mg/L and for a minimum of 30 days. There's another forum that I've laid out many details and answered quite a few questions on this subject, so I won't get into too much detail here. You can check out my youtube videos here on QT and a couple of Moorish Idols, currently in QT (now on day 17 in QT). Feel free, to ask any other questions. I have a fairly elaborate QT system, that runs 24/7 - 365. I also treat with Cupramine and Prazi Pro.

To add: I do have a thread on here, about QT, but there's not too much information on it. It can be found here:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...em-example-why-treat-148676.html#.UsI_afRDvcg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  5. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Personally I've treated ich with cupramine on 3 types of fish. This was my first time dealing with the disease and I did a lot of research before I did anything but even at that point I still had un answered questions. But in my case I had 2 clowns a damsel and a chromis I treated. In slowly brought the copper level up to 0.5ppm over about 3-4 days and maintained it at 0.5 for 30 days then slowly removed the copper with water changes over the next month. I decided to leave my DT fallow for 8 weeks so I still have a little while before my fish go back to the DT but I have to say cupramine has worked miricales for me. The day I put my fish into the ht I thought for sure I'd be fishing them out and flushing them within the next day or so but I was wrong the copper did a amazing job and my fish are eating growing and are very healthy. From now on I will be qt all my fish and treating them with cupramine. Like said before different fish can tolerate different levels of copper. So before I would acquire a new fish I'd do some research on it and decide on my own how much I believe is best for the fish and dose accordingly. Good luck with everything.

6. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Thank's guys for all answers and great video's. I have 125 mixed reef tank. I know it has ich. but for last 6 years I lost 2 fishes but Im almost 100% sure not from ich. My water parameters are pristine, I feed my fishes variety of frozen food soaked in Garlic, Selconand Zoe, I don't overcrowd my tank. But being me it bothers me that ich is there and I feel bad that i did not make a best home for them:(. I can see ich only on new fish for couple days and then its gone. also sometimes I can see my Hippo hiding and coming out then hiding again.Mostly that is sign not a perfect world... I found on Craigslist really good deal on another 125 and stand. Its running already :). But this time I will make sure I won't introduce ich to this one. In my QT I have 2 Clowns, Solar Wrasse and Bicolor Blenny. I will treat them with Prazipro and copper. It breaks my heart that I will put them thru Copper treatment even that they don't show any signs of ich. But healthy fish still can cary ich even that there's no signs of it. So I guess that is the only way....

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013