Cryptopure ???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Jim_Barry, Jan 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

My Carribean Tang has developed iche and I purchased a product called Cryptopure to treat the problem. The bottle says it is safe for invertebrates and I have been using it for 3 days in my main tank. It has turned the water a disgusting orange colour. I have disconected my protein skimmer and stopped the use of carbon as the instuctions suggested.

Most of my corals are doing okay, however my zoos and mushrooms are not responding very well and a couple of polyps have died.

Has anyone used this product with any success? It says to use it for another 3 days but I am worried that the problems may get worse.

My Tang is impossible to catch to quarantine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Jim

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Any suggestions? Yah, never add ANY chemical unkown to you into yout reef system regardless of what the manufacturer says. If it kills ich, it will most likely attack good things as well. Garlic people say works fine for reefs, other have had their entire reef bleached from it. I say, feed your tang well (supplement with nori and a food high in vitamin c) and hope for the best. If it doesn't kil him, it'll make him stronger.

Post a link to this "cryptopure" please.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Unfortunately Gresham is right. Neer add anything to your tank unless you've researched it well. Sorry for the school of hard knocks here.

5. Craig Manoukian

Unfortunately Gresham is right.  Never add anything to your tank unless you've researched it well.  Sorry for the school of hard knocks here.

6. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

By the sound of the web site you should be OK. It even states that polyps will close. I have used Kick-Ick in the past, but it has done little for Ick IMO.
    I would ensure you are using it as directed and not over dosing. If the instructions are based on Water Volume remember all the Rock and Sand displaces a lot of water. you may even want to drop the dose to about 80G.
    But like Gresham said if things are going bad slam some carbon in there and turn on the PS.

Good luck
    J

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Huh, did you find anyplace on their site saying what it contained? Usually Sera makes pretty stand up products (for freshwater at least).

10. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

Here are the ingredients for Cryptopur:

ethonal 5.77ml
    phenol 1.88 ml
    1.3 dihydroxy benzol 4.5g
    aqua purificata ad 100 ml

100 ml bottle. use 10ml per 50 gallons per day up to 6 days

11. Craig Manoukian

Knock on wood, I've never had a case of ich in my tank. Counting my blessings for sure!

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

best thing is a varied diet and good water to help prevent ich. i think garlic does help i usually feed garlic about 1 time every 2 weeks it has had no bad effect as to what ive seen. IMO the fish actually go nuts they seem to love it and they eat more it kinda increases there appetite.