Cryptoheros sajica fry!!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by ragc, May 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texasrock

texasrock Plankton

How would these be in a 100 gallon planted tank?

If I provide them with caves, would they totally destroy my aquascape? I could give them a clearing by their cave to dig a "kid pit"...

Are you going to be selling any of the fry? If so, I'd like to by a group of them.

Keith

2. Click Here!

3. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

They do great in my planted 30 with 9 tetras as dither fish (I removed them to a different tank one week after the fry were born - they ate a couple of fry, but one of them lost half it's tail to the parents). They would do great in a 100!

They started digging aggressively once they were ready to spawn, They dig in gravel only - the areas of my tank with sand are untouched.

The spawning was inside a clay pot. The trenches are refuges for the fry to duck into when there is danger around. I suspect some of it is also the parents uncovering buried detritus for the fry to feed, although they are not digging now that the fry are out and about. I'll fill the trenches after the fry are removed or grown and wait to see what happens (this is my first cichlid pair, and my first spawning, so a lot of what I find out is by trial-and-error). Overall they are not very destructive of aquascaping, but they modify it a bit.

The plant-eating may have been an effort to feed the fry too. The fry seemed to graze on algae on the leaves (I have stopped controlling algae until they are grown), and the parents were probably cutting the leaves up to help. I'm feeding stage 2 food now and the fry are feeding 'on the wing', and the leaf cutting has stopped.

I am planning on waiting and seeing how many fry grow. Their numbers have declined from about 100 when first seen to around 40 or so today... I would like to keep some. Was planning to sell the rest to my LFS. One other internet person is interested in getting some. I would have to find out what to do so they can survive an overnight Fedex trip...keep in touch here until I know more and can answer your last question...

4. texasrock

texasrock Plankton

all you need is a Kardon breather bag... those things work great! If you send them overnight you will have no casualties. I just received 12 silver angelfish... there were 3 per breather bag... the angels were about quarter sized, so sending the ciclids shouldn't be a problem.

I will DEFINATELY keep in touch.

Keith

5. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

3 plus weeks...numbers steady at about 50 hungry little beasts! They love their Zoe+Zoecon-enriched stage 2 flakes! The parents will also crunch pellets and flakes for them. What a great show!

[​IMG]

BTW: The parent's names are 16-Rabbit and Lady Jaguar

6. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

New fry photos...fry about a month old!

[​IMG]
    Swimming around...

[​IMG]
    Chow's here...come an' get it!

[​IMG]
    Wasn't me Dad...it was Benny that did it...!

7. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

New fry photos at 5 weeks old:

[​IMG]
    Mom and her fry (at least some of them!)

[​IMG]
    We're growing!

[​IMG]
    Hello!

8. Click Here!

9. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

6 weeks...here are the pix:

[​IMG]
    Dad and fry

[​IMG]
    Mom and fry

[​IMG]
    Taking on sajica appearance...got the T-Bar

[​IMG]
    Good lookin"

10. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

11. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

9 weeks...move out day!

Took about 40 to the LFS. Around 20 hid and stayed with Dad and his new girlfriend (much younger than poor Mom). The bio-load was getting to be too much, with filters clogging daily. The pix:

[​IMG]
    Were going away!

[​IMG]
    Gonna miss the ol' place!

[​IMG]
    Now we have more space to play!

[​IMG]
    I am good at running and hiding!

12. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Our Owner has been away almost every day. He comes in late at night, and feeds us only once or twice. It's not like it used to be when we were small fry. Pops has no time for us either...he has been doing something with our new Mom...

[​IMG]
    Our Home

Today the Owner returned, fished out 20 of my brothers and sisters and took them away to the LFS. There are only six of us left with Pops and our new Mom...

When the Owner returned from the LFS, our new Mom, 2-Lady Jaguar, surprised everyone by parading a whole bunch of new little brothers and sisters out to eat from the gravel!

[​IMG]
    Our new Mom and her fry

Now Owner has to start over again, mixing Zoe and Zoecon with stage 2 food several times a day. And we have to spend the day running away from Mom, who won't let us go see the babies!

[​IMG]
    We're hidin' in the plants...from Mom

Pops (16-Rabbit) also chases us, but not as long...he doesn't really try very hard, like Mom does!