Crushed Coral or Sand/Aragonite?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by tripnbili, Feb 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

I just set up my 20g nano with 10lbs of crushed coral as the substrate because the guy at my LFS suggested it. But the more I read on these forums, the more it looks like I've made a mistake. So I guess the question is: crushed coral or sand/aragonite for a newb like me?

I have 17lbs of uncured LR in the tank with no bioload yet. I want to start right to avoid as many mistakes/complications as possible.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

Go for sand or you'll end up changing to it from crushed coral like most of us here :D

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

sand for me

less chance of uneaten food getting trapped down there for one
    and aesthetics also - I like the look of sand
    Steve

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I did 20 lbs of CC + 140lbs of Aragonite sand in my 120g. I dont have an issue with it probably cause there is so little but Asthetically I like it it adds a little more texture and natural look to the sand. IMO

1 person likes this.
  6. slocal

slocal Doot!

Yeah, like lumps in porridge

:D

7. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

8. Click Here!

9. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

Go with larger gain of sand, otherwise, you will have to keep up with loose sand all over the live rocks and corals.

10. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

LOL! Its all opinion really the larger grains vs smaller particles. I get lots of compliments on my sand ;) So... Yeah.

Just know the aspects of how you clean each substrate and the upkeep on it, and the pros and cons of each. before you do your final purchases.

11. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

WOW! Thanks for the quick and nice responses. I saw one brand listed. Does anyone have suggestions on what type to use? My LFS carries CaribSea Aragonite. What about that stuff?

Again, Thanks!

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Mine that I used in both tanks that I have is Natures Oceans Premium Sand I believe... I got it from petco, Has done very well. In my tanks. Does tend to get blown around alot. But Ive put down either a small amount of crushed coral or thicker aragonite sand to hold it in place and everyone seems to like it. All my fish play in it, Which is obnoxious cause then they are covered in it and they look like they have ich LOL. But overall I like the look of it.