Cross brace broke

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Jaylloyd, Jun 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jaylloyd

Jaylloyd Plankton

Need sugestions the cross brace on my 55 gallon tank is breaking away. What can I do to reinforce tank don't want a disaster.

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Can you cement a piece of plexi in place of the brace?

How is it breaking? did you lean on it? I would think prior to it snapping if you got a thick piece of plexi from home depot and used PVC cement or another adhesive and made contact from front to back it would become one piece and should work.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jaylloyd

Jaylloyd Plankton

I was thinking about that but wasnt sure if it would provide enough suport it still obviously has the plastic ring that goes around the tank for support but wow what a mess if it breaks.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hmm was it a used tank or was there damage to it before you had filled the tank?

1 person likes this.
  6. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Since it has yet to snap I would think you could lay plexi over the top of the support and cements the two pieces together utilizing 100% of the surface for cement – I woud bet you would be fine.

Home Depot also sells very small vice clamps - I suppest you get a couple to make good contact while it dries.

7. Jaylloyd

Jaylloyd Plankton

I have had the tank for like 5 years now but just drained it and refilled it. I think I will take Ghosts advice and cement plexi to the top. Since I noticed it broke this morning it is bowing slightly but i'm sure the plexi will do the trick I will just be carefull with it. Thanks for the advice. What kind of cement do you recomend using on the plexi?

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

this is what I would do too.

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I would drain it first or at least partially to make sure you cement the plexi in the proper place. i.e. not when the tank is bowed out. Many tank have Euro bracing, which is just glass or plastic cemented to the outside edge of the tank. It should be fine afterwards.

1 person likes this.
  11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

excellent point

12. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

check out my 55 i actually cut my brace and replaced it with an acrylic bar. just scroll down like 2 or 3 posts