Crocea has torn/shredded foot. Will it be ok?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by CLoob, Apr 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CLoob

CLoob Astrea Snail

My Crocea Clams foot looks like it has been shredded. The foot is just a bunch of strands. Will it survive like this???

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Some do, Some dont. It depends on how bad the damage is. Their foot is made up of strands that secures it to whatever its on. Without a pic, its hard to say.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm wondering how you can see its foot at all? Did you move the clam or did you bring it home that way?

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd also ask how can you see the basal string's and did you move it from a location it had been setting at for a few days or months ? Sometimes all it takes is a few hrs for them to put their foot down and anchor in. If you did just move it you may well have torn the foot and the ligaments that control their shell. If so then it will be gapping open Then its toast

7. CLoob

CLoob Astrea Snail

I've had the crocea for about 2 months. It has ben on the sandbed but was leaning over so I could see the threads hanging out. It wasn't attached to anything. Maybe it was the foot looking for somewher to anchor?? I put a shell underneath it and placed it back on the sand.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes he may have had a grasp on the glass ? Always set a clam on a bottom guard a shell I use ceramic tiles at the shop It help to keep the pest from below attacking them .. Like those little snails ? I can't recall their name now ??? and worms also.. Pyramid snails I dipped a weak looking Maxima once and took over 150 snails out of it.. I dip all the clams at the shop now on a bi monthly basis when I was working that is.. I know they will need a good dipping when I get back to work..