Crocea Clam's foot and bunch of strands separated clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by aerialedge, Apr 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aerialedge

aerialedge Plankton

So has anyone have this happen to their crocea clam? I returned home from the weekend and found that my clam had fallen off the live rock where it was attached to. There was nothing in my tank that could have knocked it off. Upon further investigation, the spot where it used to be attached to, had the clams foot and a thick piece of flesh attached. The clam's foot had separated from its body!!! The weird thing is that where the clam fell, it had attached new a new foot.

I read that if a clam get its foot cut off, it dies. However in this situation, my clam completely left its foot behind.

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

sounds like they byssal thread wasnt torn off inside the clams shell. probably either got too heavy where it was situated, or wasnt completely happy there. glad its still alive for you.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes, they do that when they don't like the surface they were put on or the neighborhood they are in. Your clam should do just fine when it is settled in.

5. ClamsOnDemand

ClamsOnDemand 3reef Sponsor

My clams will shed the bottom sometimes but they are usually just fine.

6. aerialedge

aerialedge Plankton

Great, I'm glad to see that this is a normal phenomenon :).

7. dkla

dkla Plankton

clam does same thing

Our crocea clam did the same thing - he's only been in the tank for one week. He threw himself into the sand and left behind what appears to be his foot and some feathery looking white matter. Problem is, not knowing what i just read on this forum, we put him back in the same place, where he proceeded to move himself smashing against a small blastamusa. We probably shouldn't have put him back on the same rock that he ejected himself from before - but we didn't know. Anyway can we move him now? Should we move him? He's been slowly shifting position on the original rock. Please let us know -- otherwise he seems healthy and there doesn't appear to be a foot underneath him attaching him to the rock. thanks, we are very new to salt water aquariums -- just in our second month, its a 30g nano tank.

also, I'm assuming I should move the debris from the tank

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

I would leave the clam be since it seems to be looking for a more comfortable spot. It it kicks itself off again look for a spot that it as level as possible to put it on.

10. dkla

dkla Plankton

he did fall over again and this time we put him in the sand -- so far he seems to be functioning properly in this position. we removed the debris from his original fall and it looked like a hard piece of shell with a little bit of biological matter attached - thanks for your response

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer