crocea clams, few questions?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by BluePhish, Aug 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

been looking for some nice corals i dont have yet, since my GHA is completly gone!!!!!;D,except some dead stragglers that have not fell off the glass yet.

went to lfs yesterday and had some really nice small crocea clams
    (blue mantle)

wanted an opinion,

i have 4x54 t5s uvl bulbs, on a 60 gal long 24" deep.

do you think i will be good to keep this clam with these lights?
    . i have no problem keeping pink birdsnest, or hydnophora sps(only really light demanding corals i have) as well as any other soft & lps coral ive ever tried.

is supplemental feeding required? or will they live fine off filtering the water on its own.

any suggestions on how to place in the rock work?

i have looked up most this info but wanted 3reefs personal preference on the crocea clams. any other info you can fore warn me on would be appreciated.

thnaks

2. Click Here!

3. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i want to pick it up tonight so if you have any advice for me please share.

have not kept any clams yet. so its new ground for me.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have a crocea under 4x54 watt T5 UVL bulbs, your exact setup, under a 55. I had it about a 1/3 of the way up, but recently moved it to about 10in. below the surface. I've had it for about 3 months now, seems to be doing fine, opened nicely, very good light reflex. When they are small they rely more on supplemental feedings of phytoplankton, general rule of thumb is when they are under 3in. Over 3in. they are almost entirely dependent on light, mine is about 2.5-3in. long. hope this helps

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

by the way, it is the purple thing in the middle of the pic. in my signature

7. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

light isnt as much of an issue when clams are small...The big thing is feeding! Lots od people lose small clams due to lack of feeding and then blame it on insufficient lighting. If you routinely bottle feed the clams than you should be fine. The T5s are absolutely enough to keep the clam happy.

8. Click Here!

9. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

+1 with Thatguy.

I have 5 clams now. All under T5 lighting in the same 24" deep tank for a year now. I have a brown Teardrop low. 10" Squamosa, Gigas and Derasa on the substrate. Crocea High on the rocks that could come down lower but Im not gonna move it after a year being there.

I have never fed the clams anything intentionally. Really quite easy.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  10. Mburke

Mburke Plankton

Clam Care

That Guy,
    What do you mean by bottle feeding? I have a small(2in) Crocea clam that I target feed every other day using Dt phytoplankton. Seems to be doing well. A friend got one the same day and about 2 weeks afterwards he woke up and clam was empty. He didnot feed his. Mine is in a 65 with 6 t-5 about 8-10 inches off the bottom.
    Thanks Mike

11. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

I think by "bottle feeding" he means the same thing you are already doing with the phyto plankton.

Good luck with the clam. I like mine....and want more!

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

i just throw some invert. food in there maybe twice a week and mine has been fine.