creativity needed: Mounting t-5 under canopy

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin_E, May 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Two ice caps end caps, one actinic bulb. How can I make this work?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

if you really wanted to get creative, you could pull the reflector out, trim a few inches off of each side, mount directly in canopy, and you would have plenty of room for a t-5 bulb. With the bulb being directly centered like that, you are going to have a hard time getting a t-5 in there.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So remove the pendant all together?

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I would...if you want to mutilate it. hold up....nevermind. You need glass between that bulb and your tank because of UV from the bulb. scratch that

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yeah, that's right.

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

God dude...that pendant takes up a lot of room in your canopy. what bulb are you running right now? I think by the time you get ramped up, you will be able to run 10 hours a day and be just fine.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Phoenix 14k. I'm running 4 hrs right now. Thinking of going up in 1/2 hour increments each week, which may be highly conservative.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I was only planning on running the lights 7 hours, but if you think I could work my way to 10 hours, then I don't think I would need them.

I wonder if I should just buy the lighting anyways, even if I don't install it. They are ice cap end caps (I think 8 of them) and a ballast for $25. I think I could do something with them down the line whenever I upgrade. I am in the process of building the 55 gallon stand/canopy, but I think I will finish that build and trade it in for a 75 or 90 gallon when I finish. i can't drill this 55 gallon and it's a narrow tank. i also don't like my fish options with a tank that small.

I've only put in $40 into the 55 gallon build, including the tank cost. So if I could trade it in for a larger tank (I'm pretty goof friends with my fish guy and cuts me deals all the time), I'd make out pretty good.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

That's very conservative. I used to run my 400 watt mh over my 150 for 10 hours per day, easy. You can work your way up to it. I would go up an hour per week until you get up to 8 or 9 to see how that works out. If you see bleaching, you can always back off a bit.

12. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

I would just do a retro right under the front door or just anywhere along the front wall