Crappyballers 55 Gallon reef

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by crappyballer, May 22, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

i'm not 100% sure if i'm getting that rock or not... but the ricordea on it is small, about the size of a dime, pink, purple, and maybe another color... i know there's a big deal about exact names, whether its a yuma or floridea, heck if i know! either way its nice looking for its size.. the whole rock looks pretty good even tho all the mushrooms are dime-sized and smaller...will they get bigger or is the current size as big as they'll grow? i know they'll eventually split, but if they get bigger (like a lot of pics i've seen online), it seems like some will overgrow onto others, either killing them or forcing them to move about in the tank... which brings me to another question... will a mushroom dislodge itself from the rock and float around until it finds another place to rest? i know they naturally split and reproduce, but will the new piece set itself right where it split? if they do in fact float around, it seems likely that it will get sucked into the powerhead intakes... if i do get the rock, i may go ahead and break it apart, so each mushroom has its own personal rock, and i can spread them around the tank better... try to make a "grid" since there's so many of them... find out the ideal place for them, and if they die in one section, then there's a better chance that it will survive in another place.. set some high, low, mid, and spread them across the tank... a lot of my rock has really weird holes, like they're perfectly rounded out, and i was thinking about wedging a rock with a shroom or 2 in each of the holes...

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

mushrooms are very hardy, and when they split it looks like the base of the mushroom is strecthing is jut stretches for like 2 days and then the long part of the base seperates and the new baby mushroom is left behind stuck to the rock right next to the parent. when the shrooms move it is only like a quarter inch and sometimes they will move back and fourth, good idea splitting them up, you will tons of them every where. and they grow fast under halide.

4. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Nice I think we have an impromptu 55g. here. lol. Honnestly this is my first by my self attempt at Reefing. My sci teacher who Co owns/runs a LFS and aquaculture opp. set up a tank and I was essentially the apprintice. Anyways my 55 is not set-up yet, I am going to start building a stand that can fit a sump underneath. (lol Im sure us 55'rs have had the problem) with alot of extra room. I also want to lower it abit too. I might talk to Matt about a 55g. forum... possibilities there? It would be cool for us to talk about how we've delt with different things. PS if you want more of my Reef life story look on the "Show off your tanks" area for Kentanner11's 55.

Thanks-
    Tanner

5. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

hey CB, what's those on your avatar? the LFS also has something that looks a lot like those...i think 5 or so poking out of the hole in a nice looking red shell... closest thing i can come up with is yellow colony polyp... also, any clue as to how big the mushrooms in question will get? i would MUCH prefer several large ones more than a hundred small ones.. either way, the more i think about it, the more i'm considering getting them...

6. Kentanner11

7. crappyballer

the coral in my ava are Tubastrea faulkneri. and to be honest i don't have any expeirence with other mushrooms aside from my green ones in my tank. but mine haven't gotten any bigger than what you see they just keep splitting, i agree, larger would be favourable over many small shrooms. i am guessing it is based on the type

8. Click Here!

9. crappyballer

[​IMG]

here is a pic of some semi-newly split shrooms. the large mushroom on the right produced that little guy just to the left. basically the big guy had stretched his base from where the little mushrooms is and eventually the base split in half and a little clear shroom maybe half the size of what you see popped up now they are starting to color up maybe a month and a half later

10. crappyballer

reball - Stickam

here is a link to a live feed of my tank...now i can keep an eye out even when i am not home. sorry about the crappy camera it is an old webcam that i just found in my room i will get a better one soon.

11. Kentanner11

Hey how do you have that set-up Webcam wise?

12. crappyballer

i have my laptop on a table across from the tank and i am using stickam. stickam is a live video chat site, so i just point the camera at the tank and now i can watch at work maximizing my investment =)