Crappyballers 55 Gallon reef

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by crappyballer, May 22, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yea I know what your talking about!!!

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

yea a lot of people only use like 1 or 2 and that looks pretty and all but it doesn't do that much. here i found this on pet education

"Filtering capabilities: Mangroves can help lower nitrates and phosphates in the aquarium. If you are including mangroves in your aquarium as part of your filtering system, it is best to set up a separate mangrove filter. This can be a 10-20 gallon tank that is placed next to your aquarium and connected to its water circulation system. For small (10-30 gallon) aquariums, you will need to have approximately one plant for every gallon. If you have a larger aquarium (50-200 gallons), the attached mangrove filtering tank will need about 1 plant for every 2 gallons of water. The number of plants needed, of course, depends upon their size."

here is the rest of the article

4. Kentanner11

Well wouldnt a mangroove filter be a fuge? Or would you have basically 2 fuges.

5. crappyballer

yea i guess it would be a type of refugium just a litte more specific because all that would be in there are mangroves

6. Kentanner11

7. Kentanner11

Let me know how it turns out! Pics appreciated!

8. Click Here!

9. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

wow... pretty crappy! ..................................HA-HA! get it, a play on words!! anyway...

seriously tho.. you are an inspiration to all of us 55-gallon'ers! psshht... and they said it couldn't be done....

10. Kentanner11

lol we should make a 55gal

forum.

11. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

good suggestion ken.. i've always been told that a 55-gallon is not good for a reef because of the limited floor space, or surface area, however you want to word it...it don't make a lick of difference for me anyway, becuz i've only got FOWLR right now... however, if i get some good answers before monday, i'll either have green star polyps, or some mushrooms (including a really purdiful ricordea) maybe even both... not sure... too much to add at the same time? do you use the same method for them as you do fish? like, add a very little bit at the time to let the bioload stabilize? to me, that would make sense, but at the same time, several online stores sells packages (5-10 different kinds of corals), and even the LFS that i might be buying the polyps and shrooms from sells it by the rock... the polyp rock is roughly the size and shape of a 20oz coke bottle, COVERED in green star polyps... and the mushrooms, probably about 10-15 on the rock (as i said, it includes one ricordea, and also 3 or 4 bright yellow sponges)... how would you properly acclimate mushrooms/corals anyway? when i bought my original batch of LR from this same place, he loaded it all up in a styrofoam box, and poured a little bit of water from the tank in it... but with corals, wouldn't the whole rock have to be completely submerged?

12. crappyballer

well i know that some of the soft corals can be out of the water for a little bit the rock with the mushrooms and the finger coral were just wrapped in some wet newspaper for about 25 minutes, and i acclimate all my coral just like the fish but when i get them new i start them low in my tank and work them up over the next 2-3 weeks, and adding a bunch of coral shouldn't upset your bioload too much they don't produce as much waste as the fish do. what color ricordea are you getting?

-Keith-