Urgent Crap! Sprung a leak!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by duoc9119, Apr 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

I had built a false wall in a 10 gallon tank 2 weeks ago, and ran it with tap water for a week to check for leaks. After getting everything transferred and set up the false wall sprung a leak the next day!

Any ideas for a fast fix? Aquaputty? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

how big? aqua putty might work! ask the experts about this because i don't know anything else!

4. duoc9119

Don't think it will work. I can hear the seams of the false wall slowly coming apart

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The problem is you used a piece of acrylic and tried to bond it with silicone. Water weight and unequal pressures on either side of the wall is causes flex in the sheet of acrylic.

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

another sheet of glass or plexi glass behind the wall that sprung a leak?

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

well i guess my brain got beat! i have no more ideas of how to fix this!

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

why not try and build a brace to hold it in place in the tank. secondly i built false walls in my sump using glass and acrylic and had no problem. did you let it dry for 48 hours to reach its full strength before you did it. secondly dont use aqua putty use a silicone sealent. reef safe stuff

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

the 1/16 acrylic he used will flex and pull off of the silicone no matter what. he needs to use glass and silicone for what he wants to do. Also, the pressure between sections in your sump have equal or almost equal pressure on both sides of the baffles. Making your baffles not bend or be pushed out of position.

11. duoc9119

I got everything moved into a big rubbermaid. So Now time to redo the tank. I'm going to get thicker acrylic this time. Thanks for the help! I did let it cure for 3 days so it must have been because I used really thin acrylic

12. Raudrive

Raudrive Astrea Snail

I piece of glass would be much better than the acrylic. The silicone adhesive will stick to glass, not acrylic.

Good luck,
    Rick