Unresolved Cracked Tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nomad9646, Jan 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

there ya go! relax and enjoy the new tank! cant wait till i do the same!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

Thank you all for your help!!Will be picking up the new tank tomorrow hopefully.One last question do you think I could use my old sand or just start out fresh?Mod could you resolve the thread please?Thanks

4. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

nomad9646:

You may need more sand since it will be a bigger tank. As far as the existing sand i would use it to seed the new sand it should speed up the mini-cycle you will experience.

Also if you decide to start from scratch you could wash the old sand through a pillow case to cleanse it and then use as needed in you new tank.

That's what i did

E

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would use new sand. Add a couple of cups of your old sand to seed it.While I know there are people who think transferring all your rock and filters to a new tank will somehow mean there is no cycle this usually is not the case. I have started many tanks using all LR from another system and have still had to cycle the tank. If all you had to do was transfer LR to a new tank to cycle it no one would ever have to wait. Any new tank could be setup and ready that day. The only difference between starting a new tank with established rocks is that your cycle should not be as extreme as it would be if you had filled it with dry Baserock or uncured LR.
    My advice is to go slowly. I realise you have a pretty nasty crack on that tank which I am sure makes you nervous.(me too) But it seems to me you have a good deal of sealant on it and it should be fine for a while till you can transfer everything over. I would add all new water, new sand, then transfer as many rocks as you can.(leaving some in your old tank for filtration). Add some sort of food to the tank,check levels, then begin to transfer slowly.Good luck! Let us know how its doing.

6. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Agreed. I've done it with no cycle at all. Transfer all of the live rock and even the old water to the new tank. Ad "seasoned" fresh salwater with identical parameters (PH, Salinity, Temp). What type of sandbed if any is in the old tank? If it's just a shallow covering on the bottom, I'd throw it on the top of the new sand in the new aquarium too, or at least a few cups of it. For safetys sake, put in a bottle of Fritz Zyme #9.

7. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

ty guys.Got off the phone new tank wont be here till thursday.But ordered new 72" t5 lights and 180lbs of live pure white sand.All left to do is upgrade to a new protein skimmer.The fish in my tank are doing okay seem a little freaked out but okay.Thank you all for the help and will keep posted.

8. Click Here!

9. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I had a cracked tank. I swapped all my Live Rock, and a cupful of sand into the new tank and avoided much of a cycle. My crack went all the way down the back of my tank, so I had to keep everything in buckets (so just be glad yours isn't that bad!!) With the live rock from the first tank I'm sure you'll be fine.

One thing I would look out for is the fact that you'll probably end up adding more rock since it's a bigger tank. Be sure you either use dry rock or fully cured live rock, or you might get a cycle from any die off from the new rock.

Also (and I am sure you've thought about this) be sure that you keep the water moving in your cracked tank for the oxygen exchange.

I know it's super stressful, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

BTW, it looks like you took the water to JUST below the crack. If you can (without exposing rock or coral) I would empty as much of the water as you can to remove the weight and stress on the glass. It'll stress the fish, but (atleast I'd think) stressing the fish might be better then risking anymore cracking!

10. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

btw, since that isnt tempered glass, keep the glass for sumps and baffles. also when the crack is edge to an edge, its not going to run anywhere else. a crack that is from an edge to the middle of a pane is going to find its way to another edge eventually.

11. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

Keep 55 and use it as sump :)