Unresolved Cracked Tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nomad9646, Jan 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

New years eve my cousin and his kids came over and they threw a toy and hit my 55 gallon reef tank.The crack is thank gosh is on the top right corner underneath the trim.I immediately drained my tank to right below the crack and applied aquarium sealant on it.I am buying a 125 gallon this weekend.But for me having to switch over to such a bigger tank I have to let it cycle.and all i have is my 20 gallon refugium and sump so i have no room to put my fish and corals.Do you thing it would be okay for me to leave everything in the 55 until the 125 is cycled?Or have any suggestions on what to do.The upside to the story is I get to upgrade:-X

2. Click Here!

3. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

why don't you just transfer everything from the 55 into the 125, insted of starting the 125 from scratch?

1 person likes this.
  4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

At the very least, not sure why you can't just do both? Can you keep the 55 up and running? Is the crack that bad?

1 person likes this.
  5. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

I can do that?I was always under the impression that no matter what the tank would cycle.Also I have to buy more sand and add another 75 gallons of new sw.Would that initiate the tank to cycle?I dont want to lose any live stock from this experience.Im jumping from 55 to 125 gallons

6. ShaneZ

ShaneZ Astrea Snail

If the tank was going to break from the weight of the water then it would have already, so it should be fine to leave up for the next week or so.

1 person likes this.
  7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general...plete-tear-down-require-new-cycle-127473.html

read this for a few ideas! some conflicting but some good advice! i'd say try to keep the 55 up and running and then set up the 125 with a little of the old(LR, water a bit of sand) and then slowly transfer the rock etc and then the fish and coral! slow always seems safer in this hobby! Hoping the pro's chime in soon for ya! good luck1

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

I tried posting a pic of it.Its a half circle about 3-4 inches wide and 2 inches long.It starts from my trim.I know the glass is real weak now and have been keeping everything and everybody away from it.
    ill try to add a attachment now of it.[​IMG]

Very sorry for the size of the image

10. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

You will probably see a small cycle. I don't see you having to much of a problem transfering everything. Buy a bottle of Dr. Tim's one and only and put that in the tank to keep the cycle at a bare minimum.

11. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

Thank you all for the replies the link you put up really help me understand and less stressed.I will try to keep the 55 gal running for as long as possible.Again thank you all.Cant wait to upgrade!!

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I upgraded my 55 to a 125 (also took out a 46 gallon and added it in) I used new sand and all the LR from both tanks and had no noticeable cycle. As long as you arent grabbing a bunch of new un-cured LR i think your cycling will be nil.

1 person likes this.