Cracked sump!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RoloSaez, Dec 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Issues after issues..... I have a remote refugium that lost suction and overflowed. Cleaned it all up. Then I started to drain the remote refugium and got pulled away from it by the kids. It over flowed the sump. During the mad dash to clean up the second time I hit the pump and cracked the sump glass at the bulkhead. It went unnoticed since it was last night when all this happened. I decided to check this morning and that's when I noticed the crack. I drained the sump and powered everything off. I have a wave maker in the tank that will keep water moving in the DT.

I have two sheets of acrylic in the garage 48 x 48 x .5 I was wondering if there is anyone on here in the Tampa area that can turn the sheets I have into a sump. In the meantime I plan on using a rubber bin or something to keep the water filtered. Make the sump then possibly buy an in sump pump and selling the external pump. Trying to come out spending the least amount of $ in the process. Need some advice.....

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I'm gonna drill the remote Refugium also. No more DIY overflow for me.

Attached Files:

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Look for someone that does plastic fabrication. Make the drawings yourself. You can have them cut am drill. You can glue them yourself. 1/4" Plex should be thick enough depending on how big it is.

5. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I just contacted a manufacturer of sumps here in Fl 45 minutes south of me. Hope to hear back soon. In the meantime getting a storage bin to get it back up and running tonight. I have Acrylic its 1/2 inch think.

6. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Is Port Richey close to you? There's a place called Critical Tanking 7273267937 they specialize in acrylic aquarium needs. They're on Facebook if you want to check them out.

RoloSaez likes this.
  7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Yes Port Richey is close. Before I seen this and because I have the acrylic I contacted NextReef in Sarasota. Waiting on a reply. If the price is not right I'll check out critical Tanking. I had no idea these places existed so close to us. Thanks CBSurfrider.

CBSurfrider likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I hope all goes well Rolo,
    Sorrow to hear about the mishaps, and I hope all livestock, and your children, and you are well.

Todd

10. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Sorry to hear your difficulties. Would it be possible to cut the plexi yourself to the same size as the cracked glass and insert it inside the tank over the cracked panel. You could silicone it in place and drill it to match the bulkhead fitting for the pump and be back up and running with your current sump. As long as the crack does not extend all the way to the edge, it may work. Just an idea. You may also be able to find a 55 or 75 on craigslist cheaper than fabricating a new acrylic sump. Good luck and hope you get it up and running fast!

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Thanks Todd we are doing great live stock is doing good. The anemone is on the move because of the reduced flow. other than that all is well.

The crack is from edge to edge. I can take it apart and replace just the glass. However, since it broke and my skimmer is a B*^%* to get in and out I figured I might as well get a wider sump. I'm also going to sell my Reeflo Dart/Snapper and get a submersible. It's a shame because the Reeflo I bought in March 2014. I have the Acrylic so it should be inexpensive to make. Then with the sale of the pump I'll get the submersible. At least that's the plan.

12. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Petco has the $1 a gallon sale right now??

RoloSaez likes this.