Crab in my Live Rock!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by crustytheclown, Sep 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

i just noticed a pinkish, hairy crab with dark pinchers that is apparently living in my live rock. Is he a pest or a happy nano dweller????? No shell or anything like a hermit????

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if dark claws chances are not good, post pic for more info.

4. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ya pics would help alot try a pom pom crab or sally light foot

5. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

i cant really get a pic, he is shy and barely comes out??? ill try

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if its not a crab bought, its probably bad, google saltwater good/bad crabs to find out.

7. Stevet86

Stevet86 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had a crab in my tank for a very long time until I got him out. Hopefully he doesn't look like this one! I had a lot of fish and zoas disappear until I found it.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

Yeah,I've also read that hairy crabs are generally bad.i had a white hairy crab in my live rock,it lives in the refugium all by itself now.He is about to get a tankmate though cuz im tired of my damsel and his bullying ways,lol.

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I have a huge crab in my tank that I've given up catching. Its leg span is about 3 inches, its solid black and has serrated pincers which is supposed to be a bad sign. I've only seen it scrape endlessly at coraline algae. I tried catching it for a while but it's fast. I gave up tring to catch it since it never did any harm.

If you can get it out I'd go ahead and do so. I caught this one because it would hide in a hole in my rock. He would build a door with rocks and shells. He now lives in my fuge. It's filled with pods and bristleworms. Seems to be plenty of food for everyone.
    [​IMG]

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

A good way to catch crabs is to put a piece of krill in a glass jar and put the jar against the rock so it is slanted. Make sure the edge is near where the crab is known to be so it can get to it. The crab will smell the food and climb in to get it but won't be able to climb back out.

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

+1, I also do the tupperware with a ramp up to the tupper for it to climb in. if you have a long plastic stick (like a tickle stick), you can flush out most rock dwellers if you poke at them enough. then just grab them. any crab under 4 inches cant hurt you