cpr 1400 coverflow box

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by frank_broderick, Jan 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. frank_broderick

frank_broderick Astrea Snail

Going to build a sump and wondered if i had a 1400 gal overflow but only pumped out 1000 gph could i lose siphon?
    check out these plans do they make sense????

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

The box itself is designed to prevent loss of siphon...you do need either a PH with a venturi draw in it or the aqualifter pump to draw bubbles out of that one tho. I have the CPR 800 gph. I love it! Nearly silent!

You should be fine with it.

I can't see the plan...for some reason so can't comment.... :D

4. frank_broderick

hey birdlady thank you for the info. You can check out my my plan in the refugium forum. Do i need the power head running all the time in the filter box and what size would i use???

5. frank_broderick

hey birdlady i have read you should cycle the water thought you sump ten times an hour is that about right???

6. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

yes you need a powerhead running on it all the time. Use a Rio 800 RVT venturi power head to remove the air.

7. frank_broderick

Thank you for the info Darin. Where do you place the power head and how???

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I dont have an external overflow box but they use them at my LFS and a freind of mine has one too. All they did is run a peice of flexible tubing from overflow to the sump. The air will leak out from that peice of tubing. The tube will stay full of watter. Just dont put it in the sump water cause it will cause a resistance and the air will stay in the tube. That way dont have to get another powerhead or get bubbles in your tank.

Marc.

10. frank_broderick

Think I understand just keep tubing above water line in the highest part of the sump is that right? thank you for the info marc...

11. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

I would not chance that methd. A pump is cheaper than flooded floors. There is an airr line fitting on top of the overflow that you connect up to the fitting on the rio RVT pump this removes the air via power and does and efficent job. It also helps restart the box if the siphon should break.

12. frank_broderick

Don't what flooded floors wife would have tank on e-bay. Think i see what you saying the rvt pump sucks out the air in the top of box if suction is lost...thank you for all the info.. Getting to build sump and what to get all the facts right and do a good job...Lots of research on this diy.