COWL tank??

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by bmshehan, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Kogle had a good thought today... since all my fish had ich before they died would it be possible to leave my tank without a fish for 4-6 weeks so that ich would be completely gone from my tank, then QT any future fish? I've heard that I need a fish in there to keep a constant bioload on the tank? I know there are opposing views as to if ich can live in the sand or what not but from what I have read it has to attach to a fish or it will die within a couple weeks for a warm water tank (78-80 degrees). Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Click Here!

3. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

Dont think it needs to be fish, Merely keeping the ammonia in the tank some how would keep the cycle going. I bet just putting a small about of Cyclops to feed the coral with would be enough.

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

You could add some shrimp and hermits. They would probably keep you going, and they wouldn't keep the Ich alive. If you do this however, you will have to add fish back slowly.

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Already have 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 hermit and 2 emerald crabs plus at least 100-150 snails

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I had to shut down one of my tanks completely for ICK. It was only a 12g but I simply added some flakes to the water a couple times a week and turned the lights on enough to keep the rocks going. I kept it empty for about 6 weeks. I then did a water change right before and added a new fish without any problems

Good luck