Covey's Calcium reactor

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Covey, Jan 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Well I built my overflow, my sump, and my canopy and then I went and bought a skimmer. Sellout:p . Well I think I am going to build a calcuim reactor. My tank has about a 1/5 of the SPS I want in it and I still dose like 1TB of Reef Builder or Reef Advantage Calcium a day. So I am to the point I need one. I don't know if the rest of you have seen it but there are quite a few calcium reactors floating around based on a whole house water filter canster and it looks to make a solid calcium reactor. My starting question is which calcium rector design do you think is best. Standard, reverse flow, or spray bar?

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Just went to Lowe's to see if the filter is in stock project starts tommorrow!

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Do you have a link Covey?

J

BTW I use the PM CA reactor love it

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

It might be because I'm sick, but that makes my head swim looking at it. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

All right progress. I went out and got all the local parts and ordered the pumps and media from Premium Aquatics.
    [​IMG]
    Like 45 minutes with a dull hand saw and I got all the parts generally dry fitted. I ordered a Mag250 for the circulation pump. I don't exactly know the size of it so I am waiting on that. But this gives you some idea how it will look.
    [​IMG]

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Next I had to do a little moding to the lid. I added the holes to the ribs to keep co2 from getting trapped in them.
    [​IMG]
    Next I had to make the pipe that goes in the middle. This is the only thing in the whole project you have to make from scratch. It is 1" PVC and about 10 3/4 long. I drilled hole at the bottom for the water to get out and the top I sanded down to a cone so I can wedge it into the lid. The only thing is you have to play around with the length of the pipe. It needs to be long enough to seal but not so long it keeeps the main chamber from sealing.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the cone shape I was talking about and how it slides into the top.
    [​IMG]

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Now I am just waiting on UPS I should be able to finish it up on Friday. More detailed pics then.

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator