Cover over PC lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by new2salt2, Feb 25, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

My PC lights came with a plexi glass cover on the light unit covering the bulbs. I know your not supposed to let the light go through glass because it filters the needed rays. Will the Plexi glass cover do the same thing ?

2. Click Here!

3. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

My PC light has a plexi glass cover plus the tank has a glass top, no problems here.

4. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

hmmm ok.. maybe another mythh from my LFS then.. was told that the glass keeps out important rays

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Where is your LFS and what is the name of it?
    Are you talking to the owner or some employee needed trained?
    It seems they are giving you alot of bad advice or you are not understanding the response they are giving you. Either way just ask us here from now on.

6. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

its in washington and it is the owner. its a ma and pa shop, but he raises salt fish and reef himself at home. but ya getting bad advise.. i mean comon sell me Iodide, calcium and strontium but dont tell me to by a test kit and check water first OMG.. there went all my polyps now.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

7. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Actually if the glass top is not made by Oceanic or custom made the lfs was right about the top. Look at the edge of the glass is it Green or clear? Green is lead and that blocks light if it is clear you are ok and as far as I know Oceanic is only top that doesn't have green edge. The Plexi cover doesn't do that. Sorry about polyps, si this a new setup? If yes did you use lr and ls? If yes to both I bet you have a high Calcium level without doseing. How did you adjust the Alk? I am not a big beleiver in doseing straight stronium. What tets kit do you use to test it? What is a good level? Is there any other way stronium is introduced to the tank that will take care of its need? How much Iodide did you use? Espsecially for polyps only?

8. Click Here!

9. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

i tink i knead 2 youse spelchekr moore

10. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

well spell check is something i need to.. umm its late now and dont wnat to turn on light, but am guessing it is green edge it came with tank. dont know what calcium is at LFS never told me abuout testing for it.. they did real well for about 3 days then slowly they going bye bye..
    i use live rock but not sand its crushed coral and dont know anything about testing for all that stuff, but will buy calcium and alk test now then use my calcium add if needed. dont knw what doseing is

11. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

Karma for the spel chequar

12. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

yup its green on the edge