cover on acrylic tank ideas?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Jeffrey750, Apr 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jeffrey750

Jeffrey750 Astrea Snail

Hello fellow reefers, I have a 55 gallon acrylic with the two big holes on top. As a splash guard I bought 2 pieces of plexiglass to lay on top, they both curled. So I went out and bought 2 more but thicker, they curled. Next I went and bought a long piece, the thicker size. Expecting it to lay flat, it curls on both ends as well. I know I can lay something heavy on the ends but I don't want it to look stupid. Any ideas on how to cure this issue?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

If I were you, I would leave it open for three very important reasons!!!!

One, by covering up your open space at the top of your tank you cut down on the amount of light into your tank!

Two, you increase the amount of heat generated by your lights etc. and that could heat up your tank water.

Three, you cut down on the air surface interface-the gas exchange>CO2-O2 from tank to the ambient surroundings!
    Hope this helps!

4. Jeffrey750

Jeffrey750 Astrea Snail

Yes that helps, and it all makes sense. I'll try leaving it off, as long as my daughter keeps her fingers out. She loves to put her hand in and let the shrimp play on her hand..

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Boy do I hear that...My three kids are constantly thinking that that is the best thing since touching a Dlophin down at Seaworld in Orlando!
    I wouldn't worry to much about that unless you have a Lion fish, or a Trigger,Stonefish, as they have sharp teeth or venom that packs a punch. Possibly emergency room packs a punch!
    Some tangs may try to take you on with their white spike by the base of their tail.

6. Jeffrey750

Jeffrey750 Astrea Snail

OMG! It's only about 10 minutes since I took the lid off and she's already got her hands in it......Hmmmm

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The next Jacques Cousteau!!!! and an avid reefer already!!! Cool, good intervention to get your child into the wonderful world of saltwater hobby!

8. Click Here!

9. Jeffrey750

Jeffrey750 Astrea Snail

I removed the lid last night and my temperature dropped about a degree and a half making it cool 78 degrees