Couple 150 gallon questions

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by mic5486, Jan 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mic5486

mic5486 Astrea Snail

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my lighting system to one of your led retro kits but have been unable to find answer to a couple of my questions. My tank is a standard 150 gallon, 72x18x24. My lighting is 4 PC bulbs, 2 are actinic blues and to are white 12K bulbs at 96 watts each, and I have one green ricordea. My questions are:

1. How many leds will I need for doing Ricordeas, zoanthids and some anemones? Mainly just softies and anemones.

2. The lights will only be about 11-12inches above the tank so what Par lens should I use?

3. Does it matter what type of Aluminum channel I use?

4. I plan on making them dimmiable so do I need a Potentiomiter for each driver or just one for the all the whites and blues? I think I only need to two but figured I throw that out there since I'm already asking some questions.

5. What level should I start at so that I don't kill the ricordea I already have?

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Hello,

1) For just softies I'd go with about 60-65 LEDs.
    2) I'd go with 60 degree lenses
    3) No, as long as it can keep the LEDs cool. If using thin C-channel type aluminum then you'll likely need to run a couple of fans.
    4) One for each color is perfectly okay.
    5) I'd start it at half power and ramp up from there.

4. mic5486

mic5486 Astrea Snail

Ok, thank you.

I have 2 oscillating fans in the canopy already so I would imagine that will work just fine. I work at a steel factory so I didn't know if it mattered much with aluminum since I can get extra from work for free. I will be placing an order soon!