could my alk test be bad?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by BrianJ, Feb 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Since I started dosing weekly I noticed about an hour after water evaporates there's a thick line of salt creep. Is this normal? Or is my alk way too high and my test kit is bad. Checked it tonight was at 8.5 brought it up to 9 and my torch closed up tight so did my Duncan.

2. Click Here!

3. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I had a Red Sea alk test go bad one time and almost overdosed. Be careful!!

4. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

That's the brand I have :(

5. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Going to pick up a new kit wed.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FTR- Red Sea and API are notorious for being inaccurate. If you're dosing, I highly suggest using Salifert.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I like to have two different kits to cross check.
    I use Elos and a Hanna checker. Both are great.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I have heard this with API but not Red Sea. I use API for quick checks with alk and ca along with cycling ammonia and etc. Use the Red Sea for the alk ca and mag from time to time and my results are usually pretty close to that of the API maybe they are both off!!

I have used Red Sea and Salifert for Mag and seem to get the same reading for what its worth

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I hate not had a bad red sea, but i got a bad Mag and Ca from salifert. I agree with cross checking. Also in my experience a .5 alk fluctuation is enough to aggravate an euphylia.

11. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Only issue I have had with Red Sea is with some of the reagents running out before others but this is expected. Also with long term use they seems to become inaccurate, I am assuming this to be do to diluting the titration reagents from washing out the syringes which I no longer due.

I cross check every test besides phos and when cycling. I use a refractometer and swing arm for SG, Red Sea and API for CA, Alk, and nitrate. Red Sea and salifert for Mag. hannah checker for mag with no cross check since it seems all liquid test are useless!

Funny you mention a .5alk fluctuation being enough, I have 2 seperate hammer colonies consisting of 8 heads and 2 frogspawn colonies consisting of 5 or 6 heads and a wall. Due to recent neglect my Alk was down like to a 5 and I raised it to about a 9 over only a few days without any ill effects!!

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

From what I've seen here on 3Reef alone, I wouldn't rule out that possibility. The latest was just a couple of weeks ago; his Red Sea mg test was off by 230 ppm, API alk by 2.3 dkh. :eek: ::) Here it is. Read through the entire thread.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/new-bucket-reef-crystals-high-ca-151823.html

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014