Corner tank versus Standard tank? Need your opinions!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by OnefishTwofish, Feb 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Hello to All,

In considering options for a larger tank in the future, I wanted feedback on the Pros and Cons of going with a curved corner tank (min 92 gallons) versus a standard 90 gallon tank.

I really like the space efficiency and looks of the 92 corner - but wonder if it provides enough swim space for tangs and similar larger flat-shaped fish. The well-being and comfort of the inhabitants will be a major deciding factor. Do tangs etc need long runs to swim? Or is tank depth a factor?

I greatly appreciate any and all opinions and feedback from all of you out there. This will not be to incite any grand debates or conflict so much as, gathering info from your experiences as i prepare for my next big investment.

Thanks in advance,
    elizabeth

2. Click Here!

3. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Flamingo Tongue

I think corner displays look awesome. I don't know the exact dimensions you're looking at, but I believe most people would say the front of your tank needs to be at least 4 foot long to keep a tang(at least in a standard tank). It probably depends on what Tang you're looking into, but I would guess that a corner bow front 92 would be enough room for it.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

you are right in your concerns. a corner tank does not generally have the same horizontal swimming run as a standard tank.

for a lot of fish, it isn't the gallons you have but the swimming space. I think a corner would preclude you from getting certain fish you could handle in a standard tank of same gallonage. <-real word?

also, the surface area of a corner tank is often smaller so you have less O exchange... another limiting factor as the amount of O is what's important for a lot of fish, not necessarily the gallonage.

other things to consider - can be more difficult to fit lights or HOB equipment (if any) to a corner. these are not deal breakers, but things that will need to be planned around.

having said all that, all things being equal, I think cubes or corners look better as reef tanks than rectangle boxes. Still, I will always have the rectangle...

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

They look great but the disadvantages include very limited space in the stand for sumps and equipment and they are tough to light correctly due again to the space. My buddy didn't keep his long before switching to a normal rectangular design.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Everything that I was thinking. IMO length is more important for swimming then depth. Plus the equipment issues and oxygenation issues. Also, you may have heat issues as you will need MH most likely and possibly a 400w one if it's pretty deep.

7. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

Volume? ;D

8. Click Here!

9. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

90g rectangle is 48", 92g bow front is 48", 92g corner is no way 48"; it is most likely 36" at its longest point.

10. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm in agreement with the horizontal swimming room. That's one of the biggest reasons I want to upgrade my tank. Better for the fish, especially tangs, and it also looks really cool watching them swim long graceful lines though the water.

11. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

I'm surprised how many people like the corner tank, for me it goes from worst to favorite: Circle, wave, corner, square, rectangle, bow... I guess thats just my opinion though, I don't want to bash someone else's preference.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I've looked at them before and stalled because the weird stand limits sump space and standard lighting would have a hard time fitting on that space too - but if you could get a sump to fit and a pendant halide or the like it could work I guess.