corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by random_ryan, Mar 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. random_ryan

random_ryan Plankton

what corals are good and not easy to kill ?

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well for a beginner, you can try any of the various mushroom corals or a soft coral such as a colt coral. If you have a smaller tank...i would say less than 50 gals i would stay away from the colt because of how big it gets.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Button and Star polyps along with the mushrooms are all easy for beginners. Kenyon tree and Sarcophyton(leathers) are also easy as far as soft corals go. As fo stonies go Montipora Digitata is easy though with your lighting your small polyps will be a brownish green color at best. Pavona is another good "starter SPS". Some of the symbiotic Gorgonians (ie. Briareum) are also easy to keep, as they are photoadaptive, tolerant of most lighting schemes.
    Hope this helps you. Of course there are other corals that you could experiment with but these corals are tried and true for the advanced and beginner aquarist alike.

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Bubble coral is also a good beginner coral. Extremely hardy. Eventhough some state that it doesn't require a lot of light and is a low light coral, I have experienced otherwise and enjoys moderate to high. If you want it's bubbles to come out and inflate a lot, provide it with adequate light and it will come out completely. Zoanthids are also hardy but can experience necrosis if your water params are bad or your tank is underlighted. You must provide moderate to high lighting with moderate flow. Read up on the net, there is a lot of cool corals that you can begin with.

6. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

I agree with rickzter, most LPS bubble's, torches even acanthastrea are all very hardy. Zooanthids are quite popular. I would stay away from star polyps as they take over everything!!!!

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

To help you with corals(ie. husbandry, type of corals etc. I would invest in "Aquarium Corals" by Eric H. Borneman. It costs about $35.00 and is well worth the money!

8. Click Here!

9. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

I wish my green stars would take over.... If you keep good water, xenia is fast growing and fairly hardy, has great color under actinics, and the pulsating variety is fun to watch.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

If you want your green star polyps to grow and spread fast. Good lighting and strong water movement is ideal... make sure detritus doesn't cover them up.

11. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Got all of the conditions...they have grown and gotten fat, and are s l o w l y spreading....there is hope...

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

good and congrats to your Star Polyps! They really don't need much to thrive, just a few simple things.