Corals turned white >Advice

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by ianaco70, Aug 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

I have two kenya trees and some button polyps that turned straight white about 3 to 4 weeks ago. The polyps and trees are still opening and closing (not as much as when they were completely healthy and are still white) but I keep feeding them and just wanted to know If they are still able to be saved or are they basically dead and should I remove them?

Now as for the problem i checked all my water parameters nitrates, calcium, ph, etc.....I noticed my ph was 7.8 and used a ph buffer about two weeks ago( now ph is 8.4) and didnt really notice any change in their condition. I did a 10 gallon water change and still notice no change. The only other things I can think of that is causing the problems is possibly the temperature or red slime (a problem that Ive been suffering from with no success). The temp is usually around 78 to 80 degrees. I did notice that there was red slime on the stalk of the kenya tree and around the button polyps (which I try to remove but quickly comes back). Could this be the cause of the problem which is about the only thing I can think of ?

thanks for any help

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

whats your lighting/how old are the bulbs?

older bulbs produce more of the red spectrum which cyno seems to flourish under

4. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i don't know if redslime is the cause but it definately isn't helping anything, you have to beat it. if the usual routine of lessening the photoperiod and cutting back on food doesn't work try switching what you're feeding,i just beat red slime by getting a different{better} flake,, as for the corals sorry i can't be more help

5. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

t5 Lighting is about 4 months old and i keep them on for about 8 hours a day

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

My kenya is the first in my tank to indicate when the temp. gets high.

7. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

With them turning white sounds like they are bleaching themselves out. Something in the tank is off. I would not add anything expensive until you figure it out. Hope it all works out.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What brand of bulbs and what types do you ? How many actinic and what K white bulbs do you use and the mix ratio ? How many total 46.5 in tubes do you use in the T5 set up

10. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

Im pretty sure the lights are fine because the guy at lfs that I go to has over 15 yrs experience and uses the same lighting sytem and his corals are healthy as can be and I have recently added some mushroom frags and they seem alright for now so the problem may have been corrected still waiting to see what happens.

as for the corals that have turned white are they still salvagable or should I discard?

thanks for the responses.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

On what size tank does this guy use the same lights and number of tubes ? where are the corals setting in the tank. On the bottom or top level ?

12. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

anyway of getting a picture?... if it was me i would keep them just to see what happens down the road, especially if they are still opening up wich must look really wierd.