Corals not looking good, w/ pics

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cpandrewschmidt, Jan 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Andrew,

You don't have to get an RO unit that is plumbed in :)

The one I had just clipped onto my kitchen tap :) and I put it away between uses. :)

John

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

cpandrewschmidt what kind of rock is this that I have circled?
    The green in it may be copper and the red iron I would do a copper test of your water just to be certain.... John

4. beaverspork

beaverspork Astrea Snail

nice spotting that, I noticed he stated "and other rock" I might recommend removing anything not lr.

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Andrew:

I bought this one from filter direct. Its on ebay right now at $86. I paid over 100 for mine but mine also came with a presure tank (5 gallons that fits under ny sink also). It can hook up to your sink just by screwing in the adapter to the faucet, or you can but the garden hose adapter, or like me order the inline adapter that goes under your sink just after the knob to cut the water off. Its a easy install, just unscrew the line and add this adapter with a valve and put the line back on. Then drill 1 small hole in the top of the drain pipe for the waste water to go down the drain. These units make waste water while you make pure water for your tank.

This auction comes with the adapter that I have. Look at the other items on this page you will see the kitchen sink adapter and the hose adapter. I recommend getting their preasure tank also with this unit because that way you will have 5-7 gallons already made under preasure for drinking or whatever. This unit will make 100 gallons a day. and you can take it with you when you leave.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4348780230&rd=1

I went down to the hardware store and got some blacl 1/4 inch hard plastic tubing and custom made my own 25 foot handheld spout with a valve at the end.

Guess I got way off subject here. Now back to your corals
    Let us know how they do after moving them up in the tank to the light.

Whew..........
    Jay

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I dont see the preasure tank here but if you ask them for it im sure they will have one. Oh yea...the DI filter, )thats the sixth stage) has rezin that you have to buy replacement media for and I prolly made 1000 gallons before the media expired. It depends on the sillica and other metals in your water how fast it needs replaced. I bought the refil pack and there was enough for 3 refils.
    But you dont have to buy this rightaway.

Sorry for the double post

Jay

7. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

You guys are great by the way,
    I took that rock out and have a few others to take out over the next few days. Hopefully that helps.

I would like one of the RO/ID units that attaches to the faceut on the sink. I couldn't get that like to work. What are some good brands to look at?

Thanks again,
    Andrew

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I know air, water, Ice carries a portable ro/di unit made for apartment dwellers. They are a sponsor here so just click on their banner.

I would give the tank 24 if there was anything in the rock the carbon should pull it out in 24 hours. It may take a couple days to polyp out. If they are getting larger things may be back to normal. I would stop the tap water changes immediately, most LFS sell Ro/Di water. I would use this until you get a unit.

If you want more rock but you don't want to pay the Live Rock price you can but Tuffa Rock. Also Hirocks.com has nice dead rock that is about $0.75 - $1.50 per pound shipped. This rock is safe for reef tanks.

I'm Still not sure what brand test kit you are using but I would recommend you purchase Salifert they are pricey but worth it. It you don't want to spend that much try Seachem.

10. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Salifert is my brand. Thats all Ive tryed. Like JohnO says

Jay

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Andrew,
    So how is everything doing?
    Did you do a copper test?
    And did you remove all of that rock?

..................................................................... John

12. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

Well, I removed that real big rock. I went to the LFS and had them test EVERYTHING. All my levels were at 0 and my copper was 0 as well. My Salinity was a little high. About 1.026-.027 My hydrometer is a little off. I am currently lowering it. The buttons I moved up and they are now opening and are looking more full. The brain stays swelled most of the time. The frogspan goes in stages, it still hasn't opened like it did the first two weeks. And the anenome is still real small. So, two seem fine, two still healing.

My next steps are to keep my calcium up, and start adding more additives (I have strontium right now) add some more live rock. Also, my work has RO water and my boss said I can use it so I am going to use that instead of tap water.

I think my tank might have been in shock so I'm trying not to mess with it too much, but it is hard ;D Thanks everyone for all the suggestions I owe you alot. Also, I read somewhere I think on here to scrub your live rock every once and a while with a toothbrush to clean it. I did this, is it ok?? The rock seems to get a chalky white coat to it after a while (might have been the tap water) Thanks again. I post some more pics in a day or two.

Andrew